NewsBite

Advertisement

Mother to remain in custody over stabbing of her three sleeping children

By Clare Sibthorpe, Riley Walter, Daniel Lo Surdo and Jessica McSweeney
Updated

A mother who allegedly stabbed her three sleeping children, including her paraplegic daughter, will remain in custody for at least two months as her lawyer made no application for bail over three charges of attempted murder.

The 47-year-old woman was charged at Westmead Hospital, where she is being treated under police guard for suspected self-inflicted stab wounds to her abdomen suffered in the alleged attack against her children, aged between 10 and 16, before their father intervened.

She was not required to face Parramatta Local Court on Tuesday when her matter was briefly heard.

Defence lawyer Peter Guirguis made no application for bail and it was formally refused. An interim apprehended domestic violence order taken out by police to protect the woman’s husband will be considered at her next court appearance.

Leaving court, Guirgius told journalists the case was tragic for all involved.

The Hills Police Area Command commander, Detective Superintendent Naomi Moore, said police believed the children were sleeping when their mother allegedly attacked them before their father confronted his partner, taking a kitchen knife from her and calling triple zero.

“Upon waking up to what I would believe to be a number of screams and yells, he’s then gone to approach the situation, and from what I am told, has secured the weapon, and he’s contacted police,” Moore said on Monday morning.

Police were called to the Baulkham Hills home about 5.15am on Monday after reports that multiple people had been stabbed.

Advertisement

Officers found the three children with stab wounds. A boy suffered two stab wounds, while a girl was stabbed three times. Another girl, who uses a wheelchair, was stabbed once and suffered several lacerations.

NSW Ambulance paramedics treated the children at the scene before taking them to Westmead Hospital in a stable condition. The children suffered wounds to their arms and chests.

The woman was formally charged with three counts of causing wounding/grievous bodily harm to a person with intent to murder on Monday evening.

Moore said the family was not known to police and had no reported history of domestic violence.

“This is probably completely unexpected,” Moore said.

“This is the first time police have responded to this house for any type of domestic situation.”

NSW police detectives remove a wheelchair from the home.

NSW police detectives remove a wheelchair from the home.Credit: Kate Geraghty

Moore said the mother’s behaviour was “erratic” in the lead-up to the attack.

“It’s tragic,” she said.

“It’s certainly not something that my staff or I want to wake up to on a Monday morning. We take our responsibility to domestic violence in the Hills very, very seriously, and the first question I had this morning was ‘have we dealt with this family before?’ What have we done? And as sad as it is, we haven’t dealt with this family before, and I only wish that we had [have].

“Maybe we could have reached out and helped this family sooner had we known there were problems in the household.”

A neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, echoed Moore’s comments, describing the children and their parents as a “quiet” family.

“The father was standing there, he was quite calm. I saw him run back inside to grab a bag and then came out and jumped in the ambulance with his family. He’s the one I see the most,” they said.

Moore said she was grateful the children were expected to make a full physical recovery, but “time will tell” how they recover psychologically.

A framed print bearing the words “This is my happy place” could be seen hanging in the home’s hallway as forensics officers combed the property.

Just before 11.30am, detectives removed the child’s wheelchair and other evidence from the home.

Another neighbour said he was in “absolute shock”.

“They’re generally really nice people. They come over for Christmas and give us chocolates, and we give them treats for their three kids,” he said, adding that the family generally kept to themselves.

“I can’t believe this has happened. I just hope they’re all OK.”

The Hills Shire Council Mayor Michelle Byrne said the incident was “devastating” for the community.

“They’re already reeling,” she said. “As a mum and a mayor, my heart breaks for those children.”

The woman will return to court on May 29.

If you or anyone you know needs support, call Lifeline on 131 114, beyondblue on 1800 512 348, Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, or the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service on 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

Get alerts on significant breaking news as happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Original URL: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/three-children-stabbed-in-sydney-s-hills-district-20250331-p5lnqk.html