NewsBite

Advertisement

Alan Jones hit with further indecent assault charge, bringing alleged victim count to 11

By Sarah McPhee
Updated

Warning: Graphic content

Former broadcaster Alan Jones has been hit with a further indecent assault charge, bringing the total number of his alleged victims to 11.

Jones was charged last year with dozens of allegations of indecent assault and sexual touching against men between 2001 and 2019. He has pleaded not guilty.

Alan Jones outside court in December.

Alan Jones outside court in December.Credit: Rhett Wyman

In a statement on Friday, NSW Police said child abuse squad detectives investigating under Strike Force Bonnefin had laid a further charge.

“Today, the man was issued a court attendance notice for an additional count of assault with act of indecency relating to an eleventh victim,” police said.

Jones was initially facing 26 charges, but eight more were laid before his first court appearance in December. His youngest alleged victim was 17.

Loading

The latest charge brings the total against him to 35. They are 20 counts of indecent assault, 11 counts of aggravated indecent assault, two counts of common assault and two counts of sexual touching.

Court documents, seen prior to the new charge, allege Jones fondled penises, stroked thighs, squeezed bottoms, kissed “using his tongue”, and pulled a man’s scrotum. He is further accused of masturbating during one alleged indecent assault.

Advertisement

The 83-year-old had been excused from appearing when his case returns to court on Tuesday.

After his first court appearance in December, Jones stood outside Downing Centre Local Court and read a statement to the waiting media.

“I am certainly not guilty, and I’ll be presenting my account to a jury,” he said.

Alan Jones in court in December.

Alan Jones in court in December.Credit: Rocco Fazzari

“These allegations are all either baseless, or they distort the truth, and you should know that prior to my arrest I was given no opportunity by police to answer these allegations.”

Jones’ solicitor Bryan Wrench told the court there had been “untruths” published and that his client “looks forward to clearing his name”.

Wrench said Jones “seeks to have these matters determined by the public”.

Loading

The court also heard the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions would be prosecuting Jones’ case rather than the police.

Strike Force Bonnefin was established following a major investigation by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age more than one year ago, which revealed allegations that Jones used his position of power to prey on a number of young men, indecently assaulting them, groping or inappropriately touching them without consent.

Police previously said Jones knew some of his alleged victims personally, some professionally, and in some circumstances, the alleged abuse took place the first time they met Jones.

The former teacher and Wallabies coach announced his retirement from radio station 2GB in May 2020. He remains on bail.

Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Original URL: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/alan-jones-hit-with-new-charge-against-11th-alleged-victim-20250307-p5lhve.html