Launceston Chamber of Commerce wants Garwood out over Radke controversy
A key business body has broken its silence on the controversy surrounding Launceston mayor Matthew Garwood after his post with American rocker Ronnie Radke. Here’s the latest
Tasmania
Don't miss out on the headlines from Tasmania. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Launceston mayor Matthew Garwood is laying low amid calls from the business community to resign after a controversial photo with an American rocker led to death threats towards councillors and a fiery vote of no confidence in the chamber.
A Launceston council spokeswoman said the mayor would not be speaking to the media about the social media posts or no confidence motion from Thursday.
On Monday, the Launceston Chamber of Commerce called for Mr Garwood to resign.
Chamber of Commerce Launceston president Damian Ivereigh said the actions from Mr Garwood had impacted the city’s reputation, unity and economic confidence.
“The mayor’s conduct has, at the very least, become a distraction from the business at hand,” Mr Ivereigh said.
“At worst, it signals a disregard for the core responsibilities of civic leadership.”
Further comment was sought from LCC.
On March 16, Mr Garwood posted a photo to social media with controversial musician Ronnie Radke which was criticised by councillors due to Mr Radke’s violent criminal history.
Days later, a violent rant from Mr Radke was posted to his social media which resulted in councillors receiving death threats.
The council’s CEO Sam Johnson addressed these concerns at that time, and stated the safety concerns had been reported to Meta, who owns Instagram.
While Mr Garwood has taken to his personal social media to address the issues, he has so far refused to answer questions about the events.
The council has now also removed councillors’ mobile numbers and email addresses from the website.
Councillor Alan Harris said it was the “right move” by council.
A council spokesperson said the council made the decision to temporarily remove the details after Mr Radke’s video included a screenshot of specific councillor details.
During the Thursday council meeting, Mr Garwood stated he had not contacted one of the affected councillors.
Mr Garwood said he had reached out to one councillor but not another.
He said the councillor had made it clear on their “thoughts and feelings” about him.
“There was no benefit in me contacting them,” Mr Garwood said, adding you can be “concerned” about someone but not contact them.
Several councillors were contacted but did not wish to comment.
More Coverage
Originally published as Launceston Chamber of Commerce wants Garwood out over Radke controversy