Man, 44, to face court after alleged pedestrian hit and run near Mandorah Jetty
A pedestrian was airlifted to the Royal Darwin Hospital after being hit by a car allegedly driving erratically. Read the details.
Welcome to the NT News’ weekly Top End rolling police, crime, traffic, fire and breaking news blog. Keep up with the latest in the Top End – from Katherine to Darwin, West Daly, Arnhem Land and the Tiwi Islands.
A 44-year-old man is in custody after he allegedly hit a pedestrian and did not stop to help near the Mandorah Jetty on Saturday morning.
About 1am, police received reports of a pedestrian strike that left a man with a serious leg injury.
Belyuen Clinic staff attended the scene to provide first aid assistance while the Palmerston general duties police officers deployed.
At the scene other witnesses reported seeing the car allegedly driving erratically and losing control prior to the incident.
The pedestrian was evacuated to Royal Darwin Hospital by CareFlight for treatment of his leg injuries.
Police later located and arrested the alleged driver and later found and seized the vehicle.
He has since been charged with driving a motor vehicle causing serious harm, failing to stop or assist after crash, drunk driving, failing to report a crash, and driving unlicensed.
He remains in custody and will appear in Darwin Local Court at a later date.
Paramedics pelted with rocks while treating patient in One Mile Dam community
May 9, 7.30am: St John NT say paramedics were pelted with rocks while treating a patient in Darwin on Thursday night.
Operations manager Craig Garraway said the attack occurred about 10pm with paramedics and their vehicle struck by rocks while attending to a patient.
No paramedics were injured, but the vehicle was damaged, with St John NT transporting themselves and the patient to safety once they were able to escape, Mr Garraway said.
“I’m disgusted at the distress caused to staff and the damage to our vehicles,” Mr Garraway said.
“Their safety was put at risk while they’re trying to help people — it’s disgusting.
“It’s always been an issue in the Territory.
“It makes it difficult to recruit paramedics to come here.”
It is understood the attack occurred at One Mile Dam community camp.
Two arrested over alleged Jingili service station assault and robbery
May 8, 6.30am: NT Police have arrested two men in relation to an alleged aggravated assault at a Jingili service station on April 20.
Police first received reports two women and a man had been assaulted about 8.15pm.
The first victim was allegedly assaulted as he left the service station, with one of the alleged offenders approaching him and punching him in the head, according to police.
A second man is alleged to have then thrown a rock through the victim’s window, striking a woman passenger seated inside.
The two victims then fled the scene.
A second woman customer was also assaulted during the incident.
Police allege one of the offenders opened her vehicle door as she was trying to leave and took her keys out of the ignition.
He then demanded money in exchange for the keys before allegedly pushing the victim to the ground.
Strike Force Trident arrested the two alleged offenders, aged 25 and 37, at a Trower Rd shopping centre on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old man was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, recklessly endangering serious harm, endangering occupants of a vehicle, theft, violent conduct and going armed in public.
The second 37-year-old man was charged with two counts of recklessly endangering serious harm, endangering occupants of a vehicle, violent conduct and going armed in public.
Police seize homemade firearm after incident in Moil
May 6: NT Police have seized a homemade firearm and other firearm equipment following an incident in Moil on Sunday.
About 4pm on Sunday, May 4, the Joint Emergency Services Communications Centre (JESCC) received multiple calls relating to the discharge of a firearm at a residence in Moil.
One of these calls was from a 43-year-old male who self-reported that he had unintentionally shot himself in the foot.
Police applied first aid to the man at the residence before he was conveyed to RDH by St John Ambulance in a serious but stable condition.
Police seized a privately manufactured firearm following the incident.
On Tuesday, members of the Firearms Audit and Enforcement Unit conducted a lawful search of the residence, seizing a partially manufactured firearm, an electronic firing device for explosives and other equipment used in the making of firearms.
An investigation by police is ongoing, with the 43-year-old man expected to be charged at a later date.
Police have urged the public to be aware of the risks posed by illegal and privately manufactured firearms.
The illegal manufacturing of firearms is an offence against the Northern Territory Firearms Act 1997 and carries penalties up to 10 years imprisonment.
Anyone with information regarding illegal firearms, their misuse, or individuals involved in manufacturing firearms is strongly encouraged to report it to the police on 131 444. Reports can also be made anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via Crime Stoppers NT.
Two women located after search and rescue operation near Kalkarindji
May 6, 10am: NT Police have co-ordinated a search and rescue operation conducted by local community members which located two missing women southeast of Kalkarindji on Tuesday.
About 10am, the JESCC received reports of concerns for the welfare of two women after they did not arrive in the Kalkarindji community following an outing the previous night.
One of the women managed to get in contact with a member of the community and advised that they were bogged and the other female had walked off.
A local helicopter commenced a search and rescue operation, assisted by community members.
At about 2:35pm, the first woman was located by the ALPA Community Store manager near a cattle station bore.
An hour later, the second woman and their pet dogs were located by the helicopter.
Both were taken to Kalkarindji Clinic for medical assessment.
Senior Constable Karl Von Minden NT Police Search and Rescue Coordinator said NT Police appreciated the assistance of staff from the Kalkarindji ALPA store, Helimuster Helicopters, local community members and Kalkarindji police, and their swift response and assistance in the search efforts.
“Those who choose to explore the great Territory outback are urged to carry sufficient drinking water, consider bringing a Personal Locator Beacon and to stay with their vehicle if lost in the bush,” Mr Von Minden said.
Man taken to hospital after cliff top plunge
May 5: A man has used his mobile phone to be rescued after seriously injuring himself in a cliff top plunge.
The man is now in is in hospital with a fractured femur after he fell 15 metres from a cliff in the Top End capital, with emergency services lifting him out.
NT Police northern watch commander Steve Rankine said the 30-year-old man phoned police asking for help, informing them he’d fallen, just after midnight on Monday morning.
Mr Rankine said he’d accidentally fallen off the cliffs at Bicenntenial Park on the Esplanade in Darwin, opposite the Mantra hotel.
A combined response of police, fireys, emergency services worked together to perform a vertical rescue, Mr Rankine said, which got the man from the cliff.
St Johns Ambulances took him to Royal Darwin Hospital, Mr Rankine said.
Mr Rankine said the man had fractured his femur, had hypertension, and general soreness.
It was a successful rescue, Mr Rankine said.