Territory Labor, CLP and CLC major donors to Voice campaigns
The CLP was the only state or territory political party to make a major donation to the Voice referendum, while a land council spent more than half a million dollars on its failed Yes campaigning.
Northern Territory
Don't miss out on the headlines from Northern Territory. Followed categories will be added to My News.
The Country Liberal Party was the only state or territory political party to make a major donation to the Voice referendum, while the Central Land Council spent more than half a million dollars on its Yes campaigning, new data has revealed.
Details of donations published by the Australian Electoral Commission on Tuesday show spending in the six months up to the defeated October referendum, above a $15,200 threshold.
While the CLP’s parliamentary wing maintained a “neutral” position on the Voice, the party gave $83,396 to its fellow No campaigner and federal counterpart, the Nationals.
Federal Labor’s $29,400 donation to Territory Labor make it and the CLP the only political parties listed as donors.
Many other parties spent thousands, however, including Territory Labor which received $30,600 in donations and spent $30,400 on the campaign.
The Northern Land Council spent $18,935, while the CLC invested $600,000 – making the land council the 12th biggest spender in the country, ahead of the Nats ($572,947) and Reconciliation Australia ($556,831).
The CLC was instrumental in helping to develop the Uluru Statement calling for Voice, Treaty and Truth.
Overall, the electoral commission data shows the main groups in the Yes camp received more than five times as much in donations than opponents in the No campaign.
Australians for Indigenous Constitutional Recognition was the single biggest spender of the referendum, receiving $47.4m and spending $43.8m.
Major donors to the organisation included $7m from the philanthropic Paul Ramsay Foundation, $2.3m from ANZ, and about $2m each from Woodside, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, BHP and Rio Tinto.
Prominent No group, Australians for Unity, led by NT Senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price, was the second largest player in the referendum, raising $10.8m and spending $11.8m.
Its biggest donors included $250,000 each from Silver River Investment Holdings ATF Fenwick Family Trust, Riley Street Car Park, Harbig Properties Pty Ltd and retired fund manager Simon Fenwick.
CLP treasurer Tony Schelling said the party’s donation was a direct result of Senator Price’s campaigning and not money out of the party coffers – the CLP did not record any expenditure above the reporting threshold.
“She was the one doing the fundraising and it was her efforts that generated the income that contributed to the Nats,” he said.
“People chose to donate to her through the party.
“We helped, we stood on booths and handed out how to vote cards, but it was specific fundraising for that purpose.”
Members of the CLP elected to NT parliament walked a tightrope through the referendum debate, balancing the party stance with large Indigenous electorates largely supportive of the proposal.
Opposition Leader Lia Finocchiaro framed her No vote as a “personal” choice, while MLAs Bill Yan, Steve Edgington and Josh Burgoyne did not reveal how they voted.
Reports from July last year suggested Mr Burgoyne and Mr Edgington had a heated exchange at the Katherine show after a staffer for Ms Price placed a Vote No corflute near their marquee.
Former party president Lawson Broad resigned over party opposition to the Voice.
The CLC said that of its referendum spending, $247,555 went to salaries and wages, $339,218 for operational costs, $6,200 on consultation and $9,730 for fuel and maintenance.