Ex-Golden Plains mayor Cunningham apologises to councillor
A former Golden Plains mayor who went on a social media rant calling out a colleague ahead of last year’s election has formally apologised.
Geelong
Don't miss out on the headlines from Geelong. Followed categories will be added to My News.
A former Golden Plains mayor who went on a social media rant calling out a colleague ahead of last year’s election has formally apologised.
Former mayor and current councillor Brett Cunningham formally apologised to fellow councillor Owen Sharkey at the council’s meeting in February.
In a lengthy Facebook post prior to last October’s council election, Mr Cunningham accused Mr Sharkey of not attending council meetings, as well as falling asleep during a conference that cost ratepayers $1040 a head
Mr Cunningham apologised at the time for what he described as an “error of judgement during the election period,” but it is understood Mr Sharkey had been adamant on a formal apology following the pair’s successful re-election.
“I would like to take this opportunity tonight to address a matter between myself and councillor Sharkey,” Mr Cunningham said on Tuesday.
“During the recent council election campaign, I posted some comments regarding council candidate Owen Sharkey on a local social media site.
“I would like to take this opportunity to offer a sincere apology to councillor Sharkey for my error of Judgement at that time, upon reflection, any concerns that I had regarding councillor Sharkey’s performance as a councillor during the last term of council, I should have considered addressing these concerns internally and not in the public arena.
“I look forward to working with councillor Sharkey in the coming term.”
Mr Cunningham served as mayor between 2022 and 2024, before current mayor Sarah Hayden.
Mr Sharkey also served as mayor from 2018-20.
He has been on council since 2016.
A Golden Plains Shire spokesman said mayor Sarah Hayden “acknowledged Cr Cunningham’s apology to Cr Sharkey during the public council meeting”.
“As this was a matter addressed during the public council meeting, the apology is noted in the official meeting minutes, which are available on council’s website,” he said.
The breaking of bread between the pair came just after the shire’s chief executive Shane Walden tendered his resignation to pursue opportunites outside of council.
Mid-last month Steven Sagona was appointed as the council’s interim chief executive as the search for Mr Walden’s long term replacement continues.
Mr Sagona, who has held various roles within the shire over the past three decades, began his tenure on Wednesday last week.
“Council intends to commence recruitment for a new permanent CEO shortly and will provide more details as they become available,” a Golden Plains spokesman said.
Originally published as Ex-Golden Plains mayor Cunningham apologises to councillor