Caleb Wesley: Teesdale residents petitioned to make road safer in 2022
Teesdale locals urged authorities two years ago to make the town’s main road safer “before someone is killed”. Their fears became a tragic reality last week when a young boy was fatally struck.
Geelong
Don't miss out on the headlines from Geelong. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Frustrated Teesdale residents petitioned to make the town’s main road safer two years ago, urging authorities to “do something before someone is killed”.
Tragically, six-year-old boy Caleb Wesley was fatally struck along Bannockburn-Shelford Rd last week while walking to catch a school bus with his siblings.
An online fundraiser has raised more than $23,000 for Caleb’s family.
Andrea Bolton and Chris Burke both advocated for a pedestrian crossing outside the town’s general store and the speed limit to be reduced from 60km/h to 40km/h for a 2km stretch that included where Caleb was hit.
The petition – “Make the main road outside Teesdale general store safer before someone gets killed” – received 160 signatures and was addressed to then-Minister for Roads Ben Carroll, Golden Plains Shire and transport department.
Ms Bolton sent an email to authorities in June 2022 urging them “to do something to help stop what will eventually be a death of a child in the not too distant future.”
“I am desperate,” she wrote.
She was told by the department at the time that a pedestrian crossing was “unlikely to be appropriate due to low level of pedestrian activity”.
“A 40km/h zone is also not applicable here. (It) would not meet the speed zoning guidelines and is not supported at this time,” the department said.
Ms Bolton said she was devastated for Caleb’s family.
“This should never have happened,” she said.
“We did everything in our power to prevent this but the authorities didn’t care.
“They put no value on the lives of these children that live in Teesdale.
“We fought hard but we got nowhere … the community is so, so sad.”
Mr Carroll’s office did not respond to questions about the petition or the community’s safety concerns.
A state government spokesman did not say if they would now reduce the speed limit or implement a pedestrian crossing.
“As this incident is subject to a Victoria Police investigation, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” he said.
Mr Burke, a Teesdale resident of more than three decades, said the town had drastically changed, but there had been no road infrastructure upgrades.
“Something has to be done,” he said.
“Hundreds of people have to cross that road to get to the town’s general store from the car park.
“You have to run the gauntlet … you see near misses all the time”
Golden Plains mayor Sarah Hayden and Eureka MP Michaela Settle did not specifically comment on the community’s concerns.
“In relation to road safety matters, we note that the relevant authorities are conducting their investigations,” Ms Hayden said.
“Council will not be providing further comments at this time.”
An 84-year-old woman was taken into custody following the collision but was released pending further inquiries.
Caleb, who has been remembered as an inquisitive boy fascinated by the world around him, will be farewelled at a funeral at Covenant College on Saturday morning.
More Coverage
Originally published as Caleb Wesley: Teesdale residents petitioned to make road safer in 2022