NewsBite

Breaking

Prince William drops big news alongside Aussie stars

The Prince of Wales has just shared a big announcement – and enlisted the help of two very well-known Aussies to do it.

Prince William's surprise video with Robert Irwin

IN LONDON

Kensington Palace has today announced the host country for Prince William’s next Earthshot Prize.

The 2025 event will take place in Rio de Janeiro in November.

In a video posted on the Earthshot Prize Instagram page on Friday, William joined celebrity supporters including David Beckham, Robert Irwin and Cate Blanchett to unveil this year’s nominee.

The prestigious global environmental prize is an annual, multi-day celebration that was launched by William in 2020.

Prince William phones a friend...
Prince William phones a friend...
...that friend is Robert Irwin.
...that friend is Robert Irwin.

MORE: Prince Williams’ dodgy $1.5b property empire revealed

The event is designed to highlight and bolster the best solutions currently in development to tackle the environmental crisis, with five winners from around the world each receiving nearly $2 million in funding.

It all culminates in the annual awards ceremony, where the winners of the grants are announced. There have been 232 entries this year – more than double the number from 2024.

“2025 marks the midway point of the Earthshot decade and each year we’ve witnessed the remarkable power of human ingenuity in addressing our planet’s most pressing challenges,” said the Prince of Wales.

“As we bring The Earthshot Prize to Brazil, a nation rich in biodiversity and environmental innovation, we are seeing fresh momentum for new ideas to create healthier and safer ways to live our lives.

“It is an honour to profile the people making our world a better place for us and for our children.”

It’s not yet known whether the Princess of Wales will join William at the high-profile event.

Royal fans will be hoping Kate joins William this year. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
Royal fans will be hoping Kate joins William this year. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images

MORE: ‘Scandalous’: Royal Family’s $260m payday slammed

The 2024 Earthshot Prize was held in Cape Town, South Africa, and saw the prince attend alone, while his wife stayed home with their children, having just completed a course of chemotherapy treatment for her cancer.

She confirmed earlier this year that she is now in remission.

But prior to that good news, and while speaking to reporters in Cape Town about dealing with both his father and Kate’s cancer diagnoses, William admitted it had been “the hardest year” of his life.

“Honestly? It’s been dreadful,” he told the press pack, in an uncharacteristically candid moment.

He added: “But I’m so proud of my wife, I’m proud of my father, for ­handling the things that they have done. But from a personal family point of view, it’s been, yeah, it’s been brutal.”

Originally published as Prince William drops big news alongside Aussie stars

Original URL: https://www.ntnews.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-william-drops-big-news-alongside-aussie-stars/news-story/4b3941f520f2d372b3df9ed45f5b55b0