NewsBite

Trbojevic makes big call on future in wake of Cherry bombshell

Jake Trbojevic can talk to rival NRL teams from November 1 and he’s made a call on his future after Daly Cherry-Evans announced he was heading for the exits at Manly.

Braith Anasta lifts lid on DCE conspiracy theory

Sea Eagles talisman Jake Trbojevic has moved to allay the fears of the Manly faithful following Daly Cherry-Evans’ contract bombshell, declaring he would never play for another club.

Sea Eagles skipper Cherry-Evans set off a firestorm earlier this week when he announced that he would not return to the NRL club next year.

What his future holds remains to be seen - the Roosters and Dolphins have expressed interest in his services and he has also been linked with the Bulldogs.

The saga played out on live TV on Monday night and included Manly bosses issuing a two-year contract extension offer via NRL360 on Fox Sports.

Daly Cherry-Evans and Jake Trbojevic. Photo: Chris Hyde/Getty Images.
Daly Cherry-Evans and Jake Trbojevic. Photo: Chris Hyde/Getty Images.

Trbojevic said he had no concerns about how Manly management had handled negotiations - though he admitted it “doesn’t look the best, does it”.

It also puts a focus on Trbojevic and his brother Tom, who are both off-contract at the end of 2026, meaning they can negotiate with rivals from November 1.

Asked if he could ever play for another club, Trbojevic said: “No. Definitely not.

“I’ve always played for Manly, I don’t think that would ever happen, no.”

Trbojevic denied the Sea Eagles’ premiership window would slam shut when Cherry-Evans walks out the door at the end of this year.

“We’ve got great players at this club,” Trbojevic said.

“We’ll have a long off-season to work out how we want to go about things. But I think this club throughout its history has always been a competitive club.”

Jake Trbojevic says he will not be leaving Manly. Photo: Mark Nolan/Getty Images.
Jake Trbojevic says he will not be leaving Manly. Photo: Mark Nolan/Getty Images.

Asked if he wanted the Cherry-Evans issue put to bed at the risk of derailing their premiership hopes, Trbojevic said: “I don’t really care.

“I care about Manly. So if he’s going to go somewhere else, if he’s going to retire, that’s on him, that doesn’t worry me.

“I guess it would be good for the wider community and people who speculate if it was sorted sooner rather than later. To me, if he’s not playing for Manly I don’t really care where he plays.”

It’s been speculated that Cherry-Evans’ announcement could prompt the parochial northern beaches locals to boo the No.7 when they take on traditional rivals Parramatta on Sunday afternoon.

“I don’t think Manly fans would boo one of their own players at home, especially the way things have been going the last few years,” Trbojevic said.

“I don’t think they will - time will tell. The crowd’s been great, it’s been amazing, they got behind us.”

Originally published as Trbojevic makes big call on future in wake of Cherry bombshell

Original URL: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/trbojevic-makes-big-call-on-future-in-wake-of-cherry-bombshell/news-story/a362b787dab789ed1feb94f4eb997945