AFL’s Opening Round matches in Queensland officially called off
The AFL’s Opening Round in Queensland is in disarray with the league being forced to postpone two games as a Tropical Cyclone looms.
The AFL has been forced to abandon its plans for Opening Round in Queensland as Tropical Cyclone Alfred lingers off the coast.
The league’s attempt to open the season with a bang in rugby league heartland has been left in shambles as a result of weather.
Watch your club in the 2025 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Stream every round LIVE in 4K, with no ad-breaks during play, on Kayo Sports. New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited-time offer.
On Tuesday afternoon it was confirmed both matches set to take place in Queensland for Opening Round have been called off due on advice from the Queensland government and Stadiums Queensland.
“Out of an abundance of caution and after ongoing communication with the Queensland Government, the Bureau of Meteorology and Stadiums Queensland, the AFL made the decision now to ensure the health and safety of clubs, players, officials and – importantly - the wider southeastern Queensland and northern NSW community remains the priority,” the AFL said in a statement.
“The AFL will announce the alternate schedule for these matches as soon as possible as we continue to work with clubs and venues on possible scenarios. The rescheduled matches won’t be played during Opening Round.”
The likelihood is the Lions and Cats contest will be moved to Round 3, when both clubs have a bye. The clash between the Suns and Bombers will likely take place at a later date during the 2025 season.
The postponements leave just two games to be played in Opening Round, with the SCG to host Sydney vs Hawthorn on Friday night before the Giants and Pies clash on Sunday.
“As I said yesterday, the priority is that we do everything we can to ensure the health and safety of everyone in and around any potential cyclone zone or community impacted by the forecast heavy rains and storm surges.” AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said.
“It is a very uncertain situation that is unfolding, and our thoughts are with everyone in southeast Queensland and northern NSW that may be impacted. Ultimately, we hope this weather event doesn’t eventuate, but we know everyone needs to prepare accordingly and we don’t want our games to be a distraction to those preparations.
“We want to make the decision now to give clubs and fans certainty in an uncertain environment and ;allow anyone from Queensland who would normally be involved in this game through coaching, playing, attending or working at the venue time to be home with their families and available in the community if required.
“I want to thank our clubs for their support and patience, our broadcasters for being aligned with our view that the community and public safety must always come first, the venues and venue partners and our fans for their understanding.
“We also encourage all our supporters in the Queensland area to please follow all the directions from the Queensland Government in preparing for Cyclone Alfred.
“I also want to acknowledge our AFL staff in Queensland, at our office in Yeronga, and our game development officers around the state, all whom we are presently working to assist as needed.”
The league had earlier come under fire for its handling of the crisis with AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon on Monday saying a call on the game could be made in the hours leading up to the opening bounce.
That statement earned disapproval from some footy commentators who believe the league should have got on the front foot and called the game off earlier.
According to reports, the AFL on Tuesday made a decision to wait for a state government announcement about public safety measures that will be put in place across the Sunshine State before making their own announcement about the matches.
According to reports, Queensland Premier David Crisafulli will on Tuesday announce those public safety measures will include the cancellation of some public transport services, as well as the closures of public schools and roads. There is also the potential of non-emergency flights into and out of South East Queensland being cancelled.
Lions coach Chris Fagan said on Tuesday the game “can’t go ahead”.
“I’m a people first person,” Fagan said.
“It’s not a tropical thunderstorm, it’s a cyclone. I have never been in one, so I don’t know what to expect. But I’ve seen the carnage they’ve caused at different periods in Australian history.
“The sooner the decision is made, the better. It’s just a game of football. The safety of family and friends and staff and fans is the priority, that is why common sense has to prevail.”
He went on to say: “We’ve got some staff that live on the coastline, which is always a bit more of a worry.
“Boys with young families ... we’ve just got to look after the welfare of people first and foremost.”
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has forecast the category 2 system could bring “damaging to destructive winds” strong enough to bring down trees, as well as heavy to intense rainfall and possible flash flooding, beginning from Wednesday.
Geelong coach Chris Scott also demanded a decision from the AFL ahead of some Cats players due to fly to Queensland later Tuesday.
“We do need to know,” Scott told SEN radio.
“Even in principle, the idea of getting on a plane and flying into the eye of a cyclone doesn’t sound like a great idea.”
Brownlow medallist Jimmy Bartel on Monday night also shared criticism of the league’s decision making.
“Make it (the decision) tomorrow (Tuesday) morning at eight o’clock,” Bartel said on Channel 9’s Footy Classified.
“There’s things called mobile phones and internet. You don’t have to send letters or fax machines. It’s pretty simple. It’s a petty serious situation up there. I don’t know why we are messing around with it.”
When asked why it was a bad thing for the league to wait and see until the last minute, Bartel responded: “Because there’s other people. There’s people who fly up for the games that need to prepare for this. Their phone call should be to Virgin, or whoever their major sponsor is, asking about can these people get on the next flight if they do it in Round 3 or on Sunday.
“There’s people who have booked accommodation. It’s the serious nature for families. And then you go to the economics of it. Brisbane and all teams make most of their money from home games. If the weather is horrible and people’s homes are being threatened, do you think they’re thinking about getting along to a game of football?”
He went on to say: “I don’t know why it has taken so long. Your sole job is to run the game. We just put our phones down at 5pm in the evening? Get on the phone tonight. Make the call 8am in the morning so everyone can plan around it. It can be move to Sunday. You ring the broadcasters (and say), ‘Do you want to play this game Sunday?’”
That’s what Australian golf officials did. The Women’s PGA Championship, set to be played at Sanctuary Cove Golf Club north of the Gold Coast, was cancelled on Monday night. The opening round of the event had been scheduled for Thursday.
Australian sport journalist Mark Gotlieb posted on X: “It’s absurd the AFL hasn’t called the game off”.
He also posted: “Last I heard some Geelong players/staff were planning to fly to Brisbane today. If they go up but can’t get back once the weather turns it will be shameful. It is a dereliction of your duty to them if they get stranded in a natural disaster.
“Yes, it very much feels like people at the AFL were just crossing their fingers and hoping this problem would go away by itself.”
Earlier, Eddie McGuire also gave the AFL a push to make an earlier call.
“We’re saying it’s a good idea if it’s delayed now until round three if there’s a completely out of control forecast,” McGuire said on Nine’s Eddie and Jimmy Podcast.
“That’s a smart thing to do before everyone gets on the plane, make the call.
“I’d rather wait and have a good game than go up there now.
“We’ve got to be really sensible about the weather conditions on these things.”
Dillon defended the league’s decision making during a press conference in Sydney on Monday.
More Coverage
“To start off, our opening game is a big game – but it’s not the main game,” Dillon said.
“I think the main game at this stage is for us to be in contact with the Queensland government and the Bureau of Meteorology and the main game is actually the people of southeast Queensland and northern New South Wales are safe. That’s the focus now.
“It (the forecast) has already slightly changed in the past 12 to 24 hours, so we’re three days out from the game. We’ll continue to work with the clubs, the broadcasters, but importantly the Bureau and the Queensland government, on the game.”