AFL round one live updates: 2020 premiership officially postponed
As the coronavirus outbreak worsens, CEO Gillon McLachlan has confirmed the AFL premiership has been postponed until late May.
Three days after the 2020 AFL premiership began, the season has officially been postponed until May 31, the game’s chief executive officer, Gillon McLachlan, has confirmed.
McLachlan told to the media this afternoon clubs had been notified the season had been temporarily shut down.
“Today, after a meeting with the AFL commission, the AFL has moved to immediately suspend the 2020 Toyota AFL premiership season,” he said.
“We will conclude the NAB AFL women’s season as a result of the continued spread of the COVID-19 virus.
“Today's match in Perth between the West Coast Eagles and Melbourne will be the final match before the AFL season goes into a temporary halt. Games will be suspended until May 31, 2020.”
McLachlan suggested the AFL competition could resume later than May 31, depending on shifting circumstances in this “unprecedented” global health crisis.
The 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season will be suspended at the conclusion of this weekendâs matches. pic.twitter.com/5PLewJ5ZPs
— AFL (@AFL) March 22, 2020
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced this morning that all non-essential travel would be cancelled, sparking discussion about whether the AFL classified as “essential” or not.
However, after South Australia revealed its borders would close from 4pm Tuesday, it quickly became apparent the competition could not continue.
“The decision by various state governments to close their borders and travel bans and other measures meant it was time to immediately stop the AFLW and AFL competitions,” McLachlan said.
“All AFL club training will be suspended while we work with the clubs on the best way to manage players ahead of games being resumed.”
McLachlan also claimed the game was facing “the biggest financial crisis in AFL history”, but drastic measures needed to cut costs will be detailed in next 48 hours.
“Our key priority is to do everything possible to keep players, staff and supporters healthy and well through this pandemic,” he said.
“Our industry provides livelihoods for thousands and thousands of people, but our key focus at the moment, like every organisation in the country, is to do everything that needs to be done to slow the spread of this virus – to keep people as healthy as possible.
“To say that this is the most serious threat to our game in 100 years is an understatement. It is unprecedented in its impact.”
Are you an AFL or NRL fan? Compete for $2 million in prize money in Australia’s best tipping competition. Everyone can play, anyone can win >
Sunday’s scheduled Hawthorn vs Brisbane and West Coast vs Melbourne matches will complete round one, which started at the MCG on Thursday evening.
McLachlan also confirmed the AFL is still committed to play the remaining 144 matches of the 2020 season, which was reduced to 17 rounds last week.
The AFLW competition was also been cancelled, with no premiership to be awarded in 2020.
“I know that everyone involved in our game and our millions of supporters will be impacted by this decision,” McLachlan told reporters on Sunday.
“Many people will suffer significant hardship as are people right across our community.
“I want to thank the whole football community including broadcast and corporate partners of the AFL and our clubs and members, our supporters for their support and their understanding in what has been an unprecedented time in the game's history.
“I especially want to thank our staff who have been tireless in working with everyone across football through this issue. The only way that footy can find a way through is to continue to be agile, flexible and most importantly united.
“There’s no winners today.”
A Channel 7 spokesperson released a statement following McLachlan’s announcement.
“We fully support the decision of the AFL to suspend the season, in the interest of player and community health and safety. While we’re as disappointed as anyone else, we’ll work with the AFL and our partners to understand best next steps,” the statement read.
HAWTHORN CRUISE TO VICTORY
Hawthorn cruised to a 28-point victory over Brisbane as the AFL announced midgame the season would be halted because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Despite AFL boss Gillon McLachlan revealing that competition had been suspended until last May, the teams returned to the MCG after halftime as the Hawks prevailed 14.6 (90) to 9.8 (62) in their round-one contest.
Both clubs attempted to shield their players from news of the league’s postponement until after the game.
Despite the Lions taking a two-point lead into quarter-time, the Hawks were in control for most of the match held behind closed doors.
A three-goal blitz at the start of the second quarter allowed Hawthorn to break away and the Lions never recovered.
The Hawks’ accuracy around goal paid off, while their opponents cost themselves with poor kicking.
Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson said his team did their best to focus on the match despite the surreal circumstances they found themselves in.
“It didn’t implicate my mood, one way or another in the coaches’ box,” Clarkson told reporters.
“There was still a game of footy. If we miss a tackle, I would get angry. If we laid a tackle or kicked a goal, I’d be happy.”
The Lions were served well by Lachie Neale (26 possessions) and All-Australian defender Harris Andrews.
To cap off a tough day for last year’s semi-finalists, ruckman Stefan Martin has suffered probable damage to the PCL in his knee.
Ace forward Charlie Cameron (toe) also finished the match on the bench, but Lions coach Chris Fagan was unsure of the severity of the injury. A bright spot for Brisbane was the debut of draftee Deven Robertson, a late inclusion for former Hawthorn defender Grant Birchall, who missed with a tight hamstring.
“I know I found my mind drifting at different times during the week to the ‘what ifs’ and the maybes, not really certain what would happen,” Lions coach Chris Fagan told reporters.
“It’s a very difficult situation we all find ourselves in … we just have to get together as a society to overcome this.”
AAP
NIC NAT STARS AS EAGLES CLOSE OUT AFL
West Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui put on a dominant display to inspire his team to a 27-point win over Melbourne at a sombre Optus Stadium.
The Eagles booted five unanswered goals in the opening quarter of Sunday’s clash on the way to a 12.6 (78) to 7.9 (51) triumph.
The game was played just two hours after news broke that the AFL would go on hold until at least June in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. It meant the game in Perth would be the last taste of AFL action for at least 10 weeks.
Before the match, prized Eagles recruit Tim Kelly said the players felt a sense of numbness as the severity of the situation hit home.
Goal celebrations were notably muted during the game, with players knowing a round-one win might not end up counting for anything.
Nonetheless, Naitanui produced an enormous display, tallying 13 disposals, 23 hitouts, six clearances and two score assists to beat Max Gawn in the crucial ruck battle.
The Demons spurned several good early chances, and it came back to haunt them as West Coast broke the shackles late in the quarter.
Brendon Ah Chee booted two goals in the space of a minute to get the ball rolling.
And when Lewis Jetta’s floater from 55m took a kind bounce and rolled through, West Coast entered the first break with a 31-4 advantage.
A rout loomed large at that point but Viney simply refused to let it happen, registering 20 disposals, four clearances and a goal in the first half as the Demons closed the gap to 21 points.
AAP
GOVERNMENT STATEMENT DAMNS AFL
The AFL season is under threat of being postponed after tighter restrictions were introduced by the Australian Federal Government today in an effort to reduce the coronavirus spreading.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Sunday morning all non-essential travel would be cancelled, sparking discussion about whether the AFL classifies as “essential” or not.
"We are moving immediately to recommend against all non-essential travel in Australia," Morrison said.
"All non-essential travel should be cancelled.
"Essential travel, what we are referring to is work-related travel that could be essential, it could be compassionate grounds, but also, when it comes to essential supplies and other important arrangements needed to keep Australia running."
"Getting to work is something that you have to do," says PM Morrison re non- essential travel. Wants Australians to exercise "common sense." Ambiguous...ball still in AFL's court.
— Daniel Cherny ð° (@DanielCherny) March 22, 2020
It is unknown to what extent these travel restrictions will impact professional sport, but when asked if the AFL season will come to an end, Morrison said authorities would consider "new arrangements".
"I'm sure we can work those issues through on a practical case-by-case basis,” Morrison said.
“The principle is very important … We will work this those agencies (AFL and NRL).”
The Age journalist Daniel Cherny reported the AFL will hold an urgent teleconference with club chief executives on Sunday afternoon, the premiership on the verge of being shut down.
Speaking on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show, sports broadcaster Damian Barrett warned the impact on the AFL premiership could be “drastic”.
"I can't see it going any further than today after what Scott Morrison has just said," Barrett said.
"My gut feel is there won't be round 2 next weekend."
Scott Morrison said more drastic measures are on their way, including 'non-essential' travel around Australia, which could put the 2020 AFL season on hold.
— Footy on Nine (@FootyonNine) March 22, 2020
The boys react to the latest announcement.#9AFLSFS | Watch @channel9 pic.twitter.com/LUbxa2Uxc1
Essendon star Devon Smith said AFL players were unsure whether the season would go ahead, but was hopeful round two would proceed as planned.
“We’re getting the best advice and going through all the health and safety measures that we’ve been advised of at the football club,” Smith said.
“If we shut it down now who knows how long it can be.
“But I’d fully understand if they did shut the whole game down. It’s a unique situation. Us as players have to be pretty flexible as to whatever happens.”
Former AFL player Billy Brownless blamed the image of a crowded Bondi Beach that circulated social media on Friday as an instigator for the Federal Government’s decision.
“They’ve really fired up after that, and they’re going to come down hard after that,” Brownless said.
However, Channel 9 political editor Chris Uhlmann was more blunt in his assessment of the situation.
"Even from what the Prime Minister said today, all non-essential travel, that is the end of the AFL and NRL season. That is before the national cabinet tonight,” Uhlmann said.
Enjoy the @afl footy today. Sounds like thatâll be it for quite some time.
— Stephen Quartermain (@Quartermain10) March 22, 2020
Weâre clinging on to footy, and bravo to AFL for doing everything possible to get it started, but it now looks inevitable weâre going to have to let it go. Murmurs now these 3 games today the last weâll get for a while. @7NewsMelbourne
— Mark Stevens (@Stevo7AFL) March 22, 2020
You could make a very strong argument that AFL and NRL falls in the "essential travel" category. They're going to work to entertain and bring joy to millions of Australians.
— Corey Norris (@coreynorris9) March 22, 2020
Why are the NRL/AFL so desperate to keep going? Surely itâs all about revenue? Everyone is going to be smashed by this - why do they get exceptions on travel, more testing etc.
— Osman Faruqi (@oz_f) March 22, 2020
The Australian sports reporter Peter Lalor asserted the AFL needs to “set an example” amid the global health crisis.
“I’m loving the football as a distraction but physical health is a higher priority than mental at this stage and the AFL needs to set an example for those who think they do not need to make urgent changes to their behaviour. Empty stands and no high 5s are only gestures,” Lalor tweeted.
NewsCorp finance writer Sophie Elsworth tweeted, “The season should have never started … How on earth is the AFL still allowed to go on? Absolutely ridiculous.”
Courier Mail sports reporter Greg David tweeted, “What is it going to take for them to suspend their season?”
ROUND ONE SUNDAY FIXTURES
North Melbourne 8.8 (56) defeated St Kilda 7.12 (54)
Hawthorn 14.6 (90) defeated Brisbane Lions 9.8 (62)
West Coast Eagles 12.6 (78) defeated Melbourne 7.9 (51)