NewsBite

More ‘nasty storms’ on way for four Australian states

There are warnings two more rain bands are on the way for already flood-ravaged areas across Australia.

Victorian floods to impact fruit and veg production

Severe storms, heavy winds, hailstones and further flooding are set to roll across Australia’s east coast, with two rain bands expected to pummel four states from now until next week.

A low-pressure system originating in South Australia will push east from Tuesday, with the Bureau of Meteorology warning residents that flooding could hit around Lake Eyre and Gairdner as well as North West Lake Torrens.

The system will then roll into NSW, where already flooded areas will be pummelled by rain.

“Widespread 24-hour rainfall totals of 30-50mm are likely across parts of the Flood Watch area. Higher isolated 24-hour totals of 50-100mm are also possible with forecast thunderstorms,” a BOM spokesperson said.

Some areas will receive up to 100mm of rain in 24-hours.
Some areas will receive up to 100mm of rain in 24-hours.

That system will begin to impact NSW, Victoria and southern Queensland from Wednesday, according to Sky News meteorologist Alison Osbourne.

“The system will slowly push further east and storms will hammer down, with the wet weather reaching the southeast coast,” she said.

Shower and storm activity will return to flooded catchments across the three states, however, there will be a slight break from the rain for the NSW coast south of Port Macquarie before picking up again.

Rain will fall from the Queensland tropics all the way to the Bass Strait.
Rain will fall from the Queensland tropics all the way to the Bass Strait.

“By Thursday, a vast rainband will extend from the Queensland tropics through to the Bass Strait, with the heaviest falls expected in thunderstorms,” Ms Osbourne said.

Queensland should expect “particularly nasty storms” on Thursday, with rain to continue to fall over the weekend.

Reprieve from the wild weather is not yet in sight, with another rain band to make its way over from South Australia from Monday next week.

Two low pressure systems will develop in South Australia before heading across to the eastern states.
Two low pressure systems will develop in South Australia before heading across to the eastern states.

“Another low-pressure system is forming almost in the same location over SA and NSW and then pushing down toward Victoria; the associated rain band is set to hinge over the east coast, with more storm activity during Monday and Tuesday,” Ms Osbourne said.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Treasurer Jim Chalmers have confirmed food prices will rise as a result of the Victorian flooding crisis, with a bumper harvest feared to have been wiped out in recent days.

The Prime Minister, who has been touring flood affected regions over the weekend, told ABC Melbourne on Monday “there will be higher prices” as a result of the floods.

“Tragically there had been such a good harvest anticipated,” Mr Albanese, who is travelling to the NSW town of Forbes, said.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews flying over the Victorian town of Rochester, which has been one of the most severely impacted by flooding. Picture: NCA NewsWire
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews flying over the Victorian town of Rochester, which has been one of the most severely impacted by flooding. Picture: NCA NewsWire

“There’s no doubt this will have an inflationary impact,” Mr Albanese said, adding it would also have budgetary consequences.

Mr Albanese said he flew over the Victorian town of Rochester on Sunday with Premier Daniel Andrews, which he said was still “substantially underwater.”

He said there were 100 Australian Defence Force personnel on the ground in flood-affected areas, who were assisting with sandbagging, evacuation and clean-up efforts.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Australians needed to brace for price rises as a result of Victoria’s flooding crisis. Picture: Facebook
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Australians needed to brace for price rises as a result of Victoria’s flooding crisis. Picture: Facebook

Mr Albanese’s comments came as Treasurer Jim Chalmers told the media in Canberra on Monday Australians needed to “brace themselves” for cost of living consequences.

The Treasurer said “some of the best growing and producing area in the country” had been “seriously impacted.”

Mr Chalmers said the flooding was “likely to push up cost of living” at a time when Australians were “already under the pump.”

Treasurer Jim Chalmers said the Victorian flooding crisis and the impact on farmers would have consequences for federal budget. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gary Ramage
Treasurer Jim Chalmers said the Victorian flooding crisis and the impact on farmers would have consequences for federal budget. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gary Ramage

Also speaking on ABC radio on Monday was Victorian Farmers Federation President Emma Germano, who confirmed on ABC Melbourne that this year's crop was looking “like a bumper harvest.”

“A lot of seedlings have been lost and that will have,” Ms Germano said, adding that the loss would result in supply chain pressures over the coming months, notably in terms of barley and canola.

But she said if there was good drainage, “some of the crops will be salvaged.”

A challenge would be getting heavy machinery on the grounds when it was a “soggy mess,” Ms Germano said.

Original URL: https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/anthony-albanese-confirms-prices-to-rise-as-a-result-of-floods/news-story/c32c40dd47e16e9ed883b29806aae715