Revealed: What sparked a bloody lingerie bar stabbing
A man involved in a bloody lingerie bar brawl during which a worker was stabbed has learned his fate in court.
One of the men involved in a drunken, bloody, three-on-one attack in a raunchy Sydney CBD lingerie bar during which the venue’s manager was stabbed has narrowly avoided being sent to jail.
Kevin Piggott and Harley Conroy appeared in Sydney’s Downing Local Court on Thursday where they were given a withering spray by a magistrate over their role in the incident at Concourse Bar in November.
Lawrence D’iapico-Bien had to undergo surgery after he was stabbed twice in the back during the violent melee, which escalated after a group of men were told they wouldn’t be served any drinks because they were too intoxicated.
Neither Piggott nor Conroy are alleged to have stabbed Mr D’iapico-Bien, however were charged over their role in the violent altercation.
Piggott, Conroy and Poasa Junior Logova had already been drinking for six hours at the Harbourview Hotel on November 5 before they moved on to the Concourse Bar at Wynyard Station, according to a statement of agreed facts signed by Conroy and tendered to the court.
Piggott has not signed the facts to which Conroy agrees and disputes some of them.
The incident was captured on CCTV and in full view of patrons and waitresses dressed in lingerie.
The trio became embroiled in an argument with Mr D’iapico-Bien soon after they entered just before 6pm when they were told they were too drunk and asked to leave.
“I think you guys have had enough and it’s time to go home,” Mr D’iapico-Bien told the group.
During a verbal altercation, one of the men in the group said: “F*** this, let’s go.”
“Listen to your mate, why don’t you just go,” Mr D’iapico-Bien replied.
It’s alleged that Piggott moved towards the bar manager and said words to the effect of: “We are going to f*** you up.”
Feeling threatened, Mr D’iapico-Bien picked up a rolling pin and told the men to stay back.
Mr D’iapico-Bien was sprayed in the eyes with cleaning products, momentarily blinding him and prompting him to swing wildly with the wooden object.
The three men rushed Mr D’iapico-Bien, punching him in the head and upper body.
Patrons attempted to hold back the trio before Conroy broke free, throwing about eight punches at his victim.
It’s alleged that at the same time, Piggott placed Mr D’iapico-Bien in a headlock and punched him a number of times.
Logova is alleged to have then removed a switchblade from his pants and stabbed Mr D’iapico-Bien in the back.
Paramedics treated Mr D’iapico-Bien at the scene before he was rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital where he was treated for two stab wounds in his back and underwent surgery for two collapsed lungs.
Logova has pleaded guilty to reckless wounding and affray.
However, he has pleaded not guilty to the more serious charges of wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
He is scheduled to face trial in March next year.
Police arrested three men including Piggott near the scene, before Conroy handed himself in at St Mary’s Police Station two days later.
Conroy, 27, was on Thursday sentenced to a nine-month intensive corrections order after he pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray.
Piggott, 31, has also pleaded guilty to assault and affray but will have to wait two weeks to learn his punishment after Magistrate Julie Huber ordered a sentencing assessment report.
The court heard Conroy had initially stood back when the argument erupted and was not involved in initiating it.
His lawyers argued he should not be sent to jail, pointing to the letter of apology he had written to his victim and his otherwise good character.
However, Ms Huber said that the community was sick of alcohol-fuelled violence.
She said Conroy’s offences warranted a jail term before sentencing him to serve it in the community.
“An employee who is there to enforce the hospitality rules that includes not serving people who over the limit - that was the two of you,” Ms Huber said.
“What happened? He gets assaulted in the manner he did.
“The public has had enough of this sort of violence.”
Conroy was also ordered to perform 150 hours of community service and pay $2000.