Truck driver Brett Russell a no-show for pre-sentence hearing after crash with Loreto College Ballarat school bus
Dozens of Loreto students, staff and their loved ones were at the County Court for a hearing for a truck driver who allegedly crashed into their school bus – but there was one problem in the courtroom.
Police & Courts
Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Ballarat high school students involved in a horror bus crash have been left stunned after the truck driver who allegedly caused the collision did not show up to court.
Brett Russell was due to face a pre-sentence hearing in the County Court on Thursday after he allegedly ploughed into the back of a coach carrying students and staff from Loreto College Ballarat.
The bus was travelling from Ballarat to Melbourne Airport to take the students to a NASA space camp in the United States when the B-double collided with them near roadworks about 3:16am on September 21, 2022.
Thirty-five people were injured in the crash including 25 students, the bus driver, teachers and three road workers, with their injuries ranging from minor bruising to a near total foot amputation.
On Thursday, dozens of Loreto students, staff and their loved ones filled the courtroom, many of whom travelled from Ballarat and were due to read statements to the court detailing how the tragedy had affected them.
But Russell’s lawyer John Lavery revealed his client had been rushed to hospital via ambulance on Wednesday afternoon for an unspecified condition.
Mr Lavery said he had received a medical certificate but had been unable to speak to Russell who was awaiting assessment in hospital.
A woman seated in the court audibly gasped while others were seen wiping away tears after it was revealed Russell would not be in attendance.
Crown prosecutor Susan Borg said police would make inquiries about Russell’s absence and mental health status including verifying that an ambulance was called.
The Herald Sun understands Russell was due to be arraigned on ten charges, including negligently causing serious injury and reckless conduct endangering life, but that could not occur because he did not attend court.
The pre-sentence hearing, which is expected to go for several days due to the number of victim impact statements, will be rescheduled for later this year.
Russell was granted extended bail until the case returns to court later this month.
A committal hearing at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court last year heard two of the truck’s trailer brakes were not operating properly and were “in effect inoperative” at the time of the crash, with Russell allegedly telling police he was aware of the vehicle’s issues.
The section of the highway where the crash occurred had been reduced to a 40km/h speed limit due to an earlier crash with traffic banked up, police allege.
“As (Russell) had ignored all of the warning signs that (he was) driving a vehicle that was unsafe, he was then heading down hill with no ability to slow the vehicle,” a police summary stated.
Psychologist Gabrielle French told the court one of the students she treated described suffering episodes of disassociation, flashbacks and recurring nightmares involving buses every time she “shut (her) eyes”.