Toby Loughnane ordered to stand trial over murder of missing Brunswick woman Maryam Hamka
The ex-boyfriend of missing Brunswick woman Maryam Hamka will stand trial for her murder after evidence from a DNA expert.
Police & Courts
Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
The former boyfriend of slain Brunswick woman Maryam Hamka has been ordered to stand trial charged with her murder.
Toby Loughnane, 41, is accused of killing Ms Hamka at his Brighton house on April 11 last year.
The 36-year-old’s body has never been found.
Following the final day of a contested committal in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Monday Mr Loughnane was committed to face a jury of his peers in the Supreme Court.
Asked how he pleaded, Mr Loughnane answered: “I am not guilty your honour”.
Ms Hamka was last seen on CCTV at a Brunswick supermarket, at about 5.30pm on April 10.
Pool cleaner Oscar Newman, 27, was also committed to stand trial, accused of assisting Mr Loughnane by cleaning the alleged crime scene, between April 11 and April 15.
Magistrate Johanna Metcalf ruled there was sufficient evidence for both men to face a trial, following testimony from forensic expert Maxwell Jones.
Mr Jones told the court a sample of Ms Hamka’s DNA was taken from 12 cigarette butts found in her Mitsubishi Outlander.
This evidence was then tested against the slain woman’s mother, as a reference profile, Mr Jones said.
But no DNA profile could be obtained from a large stain, believed to be blood, found on carpet near the entrance of Mr Loughnane’s Brighton home, the court heard.
Loughnane has been remanded behind bars following his arrest on unrelated charges on April 15, the day after Ms Hamka was reported missing.
He was later charged with her murder in August.
Mr Newman also pleaded not guilty and remains on bail.
Both men will face the Supreme Court for a directions hearing on July 19.