NewsBite

Rowville man Steve Fabriczy to be extradited to ACT and charged with the murder of Irma Palasics

A Melbourne man is set to be charged with the murder of a grandmother who “drowned in her own blood” during a terrifying home invasion more than two decades ago.

Murder charge in Irma Palasics case

A Melbourne man set to be charged with the murder of a grandmother who “drowned in her own blood” during a terrifying home invasion has been denied bail.

Steve Fabriczy, 68, was arrested on Wednesday by cold case investigators probing the cold case murder of grandmother Irma Palasics, 72, inside her Canberra home in 1999.

The Rowville man faced the Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on Thursday where the Australian Federal Police applied for him to be extradited to formally face the murder charge on Friday.

But Mr Fabriczy, who has been remanded in custody, made a bid for extradition bail, seeking to make his own way to the ACT.

Steve Fabriczy was arrested in Rowville. Picture: Victoria Police
Steve Fabriczy was arrested in Rowville. Picture: Victoria Police

Detective Sergeant Craig Marriott told the court he strongly opposed Mr Fabriczy being bailed for even a day, citing an “unacceptable” flight risk and the “extremely serious” nature of the charge.

The court heard Mrs Palasics and her husband Gregor were “violently assaulted” on November 6, 1999, after two masked men forced their way into their home and demanded valuables.

When the pair refused, they were bound with cable ties, duct tape and a telephone cord before the offenders ransacked the home.

After an hour, Mr Palasics was able to free himself from his bindings only to discover his wife was dead.

“She was still bound – hands, ankles and over her mouth,” Sergeant Marriott said.

“He rolled her over, removed her bindings but she had passed away.”

An autopsy revealed she died from the injuries sustained in the assault, which included a broken nose.

“With the binding over her mouth, she had been unable to expel the blood and she had effectively drowned in her own blood,” he said.

Mr Fabriczy in 2009 leaving the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court. Picture: Ian Currie
Mr Fabriczy in 2009 leaving the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court. Picture: Ian Currie

The case went cold until 2019 when a sample from the crime scene was matched to a sample from Mr Fabriczy contained in a national database.

“He admitted being in the premises … for the purpose of burglary,” Sergeant Marriott said.

“He denied assaulting and he denied murdering anyone.

“But we say that they’re false denials and that he’s admitted liability for the offence.”

He served a term of imprisonment from 2010 to 2012 over his involvement in a conspiracy to hijack a $1.9m truckload of cigarettes.

And he continues to “express a desire to engage in criminal activity”, police allege.

The court also heard Mr Fabriczy was a dual citizen of Australia and Hungary, and has expressed a desire to return to the European country to retire.

Sergeant Marriott said the other masked man involved in the home invasion is “at large” and is believed to be known to the 68-year-old.

“There is a concern if released on bail … there would be potential collusion,” he said.

Mr Fabriczy will be extradited in custody to the ACT. Picture: Victoria Police
Mr Fabriczy will be extradited in custody to the ACT. Picture: Victoria Police

Mr Fabriczy’s defence lawyer told the court her client did not have a Hungarian passport and his Australian passport could be surrendered to reduce any “flight risk”.

But the Australian Federal Police argued there were numerous examples of people surrendering their passports but still managing to flee the jurisdiction.

Before refusing bail, Magistrate Jason Ong said the accused had an “incentive to abscond” due to the serious allegations and the likelihood of imprisonment if convicted.

“Ultimately, considering all the matters before me, I’m not satisfied that the (flight) risk can be met through the imposition of conditions,” he said.

Mr Fabriczy was due to face court on Wednesday afternoon but was instead rushed to hospital by ambulance after he “complained of a heart condition”.

He will be extradited in custody to face the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday.

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts-victoria/rowville-man-steve-fabriczy-to-be-extradited-to-act-and-charged-with-the-murder-of-irma-palasics/news-story/b7f27c80be518da696300ff34116a3cb