NewsBite

AFL Daily: Brendon Bolton bites his tongue over Eddie McGuire's comments

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton has responded to Collingwood president Eddie McGuire's suggestion the Blues should approach Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson. RECAP ALL OF THE DAY'S NEWS

Roughead returns serve over AFL future

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton has brushed off questions over his future by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire as the Blues look to bounce back from a Round 7 “shocker”.

McGuire said on radio this week that Carlton should approach Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson as their struggles under fourth-year mentor Bolton continue after a 1-6 start to the season.

But Bolton said he did not take the comments personally and they would not distract from his job at hand.

“I understand the role of the media. It’s an opinion-based industry,” Bolton said.

“Eddie’s in the media, he has to give opinions. I think for quite a while Eddie’s liked Clarko. Why wouldn’t you?

“My motivation’s all driven around improving individuals within the club, helping our coaches drive towards where we want to.”

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton isn't taking Eddie McGuire's comments personally.
Carlton coach Brendon Bolton isn't taking Eddie McGuire's comments personally.

Bolton flagged plans for a “more creative” look with his side’s talls for Saturday’s clash with Collingwood at the MCG as Mitch McGovern returns from a hamstring complaint.

The Blues have stuck with Levi Casboult, along with fellow key forwards Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow.

With key defender Liam Jones (concussion) set to miss, Bolton replied “maybe” when asked if one of the four key forwards – McGovern, Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay – would be redeployed into defence.

McGovern looms as the most likely option, while Curnow could also be played further up the ground with wingman Lachie O’Brien being omitted.

“We’re probably going to mix things up with positions,” Bolton said.

“I’m probably not going to allude to exactly what that’s going to look like at the moment, but we’ll probably be slightly more creative with where they’ll play.”

Bolton said Jones was “coming along pretty well” and is expected to return next week after being taken to hospital following a heavy bump last Sunday.

The Blues were smashed by North Melbourne in the contested possession count last week 157-122, with Bolton saying that would be a key focus against the Magpies.

“All our players are determined to respond in the contested side of the game. We’re looking to make sure this is a real fight,” Bolton said.

“You can see that they want to respond and we want to respond as a footy club.”

RECAP ALL THE OF TODAY'S NEWS IN THE BLOG BELOW

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/hawthorn/hawthorn-legend-leigh-matthews-says-jarryd-rougheads-axing-is-a-bad-sign-for-his-future/live-coverage/458a3c7525e78bf50e4958c066d361ed