SA families to be given greater protections against RSV ahead of winter peak
A perfect storm of the potentially deadly RSV virus, flu and whooping cough that’s sweeping SA has prompted drastic action to protect the most vulnerable.
SA News
Don't miss out on the headlines from SA News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
South Australian families will now have better protection against a potentially deadly respiratory virus, under a free state government vaccine program.
Newborn babies whose mothers were unable to be immunised against RSV during pregnancy are now eligible for the free vaccine, which provides protection for up to six months.
The pilot program, which will run to September 30, aims to better protect babies before the infection period peaks this winter.
Almost 2,000 babies contracted RSV last year across the state, with 350 of those hospitalised.
The dangerous virus can have devastating effects on newborns, resulting in bronchiolitis and pneumonia, also impacting on breathing and feeding.
In serious cases, a full recovery can take many weeks.
Mother-of-three Natalie Maude, whose four-month-old Elliot contracted RSV on holiday in Queensland, urged families to get the jab.
“He started being sick after most feeds, which turned into lethargy, barely staying awake, intermittent fevers, he was definitely not his happy self,” Mrs Maude said.
“To see him so sick and in hospital, absolutely helpless, is just heartbreaking and I wouldn’t wish it on any family.”
The rollout of the vaccine comes a month after the Federal Government kicked off its own RSV immunisation program, which provides free jabs to expecting mothers, so they can develop and pass on protective antibodies to their babies.
Since then, more than 1500 pregnant SA women have received the maternal vaccination.
Chief Public Health Officer Dr Nicola Spurrier said the joint immunisation program would provide peace of mind for South Australian families.
“We’ve got both of those mechanisms now that every single baby in Australia is protected,” Dr Spurrier said.
“Anybody who has seen a tiny baby struggling to breathe because of an RSV infection will understand the importance of this new way of providing protection against RSV disease.”
The vaccination push comes as South Australia fights an alarming rise in whooping cough and flu cases.
New figures reveal South Australia has recorded 826 cases of whooping cough so far this year, up from just 61 at the same time last year.
The alarming amount of cases is the highest in the past five years, sparking fresh calls to get vaccinated.
Flu numbers have also hit a five-year high, with 2,324 reported cases this year alone, up almost 700 from the same time last year.
More Coverage
Originally published as SA families to be given greater protections against RSV ahead of winter peak