Union honchos to front CFMEU inquiry
Two of Queensland’s highest-ranking union officials are set to give evidence in the landmark CFMEU inquiry, including allegations of violence and bullying perpetrated by the militant union against its biggest rival.
Two of Queensland’s highest-ranking union officials are set to give evidence in the landmark CFMEU inquiry, including allegations of violence and bullying perpetrated by the militant union against its biggest rival.
Australian Workers’ Union Queensland boss Stacey Schinnerl and Queensland Council of Unions head Jacqueline King will appear before the Commission of Inquiry from Tuesday.
It comes a fortnight after a more detailed version of the Watson report into the CFMEU’s behaviour was released as part of the inquiry — revealing violent and frightening worksite run-ins the CFMEU were claimed to have orchestrated against the AWU.
This includes an incident in 2023 when 40 CFMEU members prevented AWU members from leaving the Cross River Rail Gabba Station site and hurled abuse like “Are you scare now?” and “we won’t stop coming for you — no-one can protect you”.
The inquiry’s updated witness list was published hours after Labor Right delegates walked out of Queensland Labor conference after a fiery motion was tabled demanding the CFMEU “return to democratic control as soon possible”.
Electrical Trades Union state secretary Peter Ong on Sunday called for legislation enabling the takeover of the CFMEU to be repealed as soon as the union was out of administration.
It prompted dozens of Labor Right delegates to walk out of the room to jeers of “shame” from party colleagues.
The AWU is the largest Right-aligned union.
Mr Ong labelled the Right “juveniles” and said the administration of the CFMEU set a dangerous precedent.
A Labor Right source said the walk out was in solidarity with AWU members who had been subject to “targeted violence” at the hands of CFMEU officials for years.
“Labor Forum walked out during the motion regarding CFMEU administration in solidarity with the AWU, who have been facing targeted violence from some CFMEU officials for years,” they said.
“We shouldn’t even be talking about this – a Commission of Inquiry is under way and more details of violence are being revealed by the day.
“It is a stunning lapse of judgment by the Left to allow this motion to get to the conference floor when the behaviour of the CFMEU has been so far below community expectation for so long.”
Mr Ong labelled the Right “juveniles” and said the administration of the CFMEU set a dangerous precedent.
“Democratically elected officials were forced to resign or be removed and ruled ineligible persons for future union roles,” he said.
“The precedents granted by this administration can be weaponised against all unions and is something that all union leaders should be concerned about.
“If it was an LNP government who would put this legislation in place, every one of us would be marching in the streets.”
The two other witnesses scheduled to appear at the CFMEU inquiry this week are Civil Contractors Federation Queensland chief executive Damien Long and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland executive Sarina Wise.
More Coverage
Originally published as Union honchos to front CFMEU inquiry