NewsBite

Teen arrested after police swoop on bus in Cheltenham

Police pulled two teens off a bus in Cheltenham and had them in handcuffs on the nature strip as youth crime continues to be a serious issue in bayside Melbourne.

Up to six police cars surrounded a public bus on Nepean Highway in Cheltenham on Monday after reports of teens misbehaving. Picture: supplied
Up to six police cars surrounded a public bus on Nepean Highway in Cheltenham on Monday after reports of teens misbehaving. Picture: supplied

Two teens were hauled off a bus in suburban Melbourne and handcuffed during a dramatic arrest on a busy highway.

The incident unfolded on Monday afternoon in Cheltenham, not far from Westfield Southland.

A local crime watch group member said they saw the bus intercepted by police outside the Tudor Inn on Nepean Highway.

At least two teenagers, one male and one female, were taken off the bus and could be seen in handcuffs, the member said.

A caller to 3AW later said he had seen two public order vehicles pull over a Berwick bound bus on Nepean Highway.

“They went onto the bus and pulled a couple of people out and within seconds there were five other police cars there,” he said.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said police responded to “youths causing trouble on the bus”.

“They were moved on,” she said.

“There was an arrest for a safe custody warrant.”

Earlier the same day police sent a public order response team to a bottle shop in Charman Rd in response to a complaint about teens loitering.

The youths were moved on.

The bayside suburb has been hit with a series of violent crimes in the past few weeks.

On Saturday night a man was allegedly stabbed in the back during an attempted car jacking.

Police allege five teenage boys and a teenage girl pulled a 20-year-old Ormond man out of his car while he was parked at a Cheltenham McDonald’s.

The group brandished at least two knives and an imitation gun when they allegedly fought the driver on the corner of Jamieson St and Nepean Hwy about 7.45pm.

The driver was taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries before he was discharged on Sunday afternoon.

Police charged three 14-year-old boys and the 12-year-old boy on summons and they will appear at a children’s court at a later date.

They released two other youths without charge.

Last month worried parents revealed they had banned their children from Westfield Southland after a girl’s head was stomped on during a savage attack at the shopping centre.

It’s understood a 15-year-old girl was approached by a group of six youths at Westfield Southland on Saturday, July 22, before she was allegedly chased through the centre on Sunday.

Her hair was allegedly pulled and her head was repeatedly stomped near Village Cinemas about 3.15pm.

She was rushed to hospital with serious injuries after she suffered a seizure.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said a 13-year-old boy was charged with affray and intentionally causing injury.

He will appear at a children’s court at a later date with the investigation ongoing.

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/teen-arrested-after-police-swoop-on-bus-in-cheltenham/news-story/7bbcf757b25b0494dd2763739993bb3a