NewsBite

Ben Cunnington’s footy career on hold after latest health setback

A former AFL hero who starred in local footy says he’s hopeful of coming back despite suffering a major health scare in the pre-season.

Ben Cunnington playing for Warrnambool last year. Picture: Warrnambool footy photos/Peter Goodman
Ben Cunnington playing for Warrnambool last year. Picture: Warrnambool footy photos/Peter Goodman

Former North Melbourne star Ben Cunnington remains hopeful a recent health scare won’t end his footballing career.

Cunnington has told this masthead he was hospitalised earlier this month with blood clots, which forced him to abandon his pre-season training with Warrnambool in the Hampden Football Netball League.

His Warrnambool coach Dan O’Keefe has revealed he spent almost a week and a half in hospital having a couple of surgeries to fix the health concern.

The new setback to his health comes after Cunnington overcame two bouts of testicular cancer in 2021.

Last season Cunnington played for the Blues, after retiring from the AFL in 2023, and was a star in the competition, winning the goal kicking medal in the strong Hampden league, kicking 76 goals in 19 games.

He’s now on the sidelines but is hopeful of a return.

“I’m recovering from my operations,” Cunnington said.

“We’ll be reviewing the recovery throughout and I’m hoping to get back playing as soon as I can to help out the footy club.”

O’Keefe said the club was hopeful his return, potentially in the second half of the season, can give the club a boost heading into finals.

“He’ll miss the first part of our footy season, which is a shame, because he’s had such a great season last year and had such a great impact,” he said.

“It will give us a great lift and a big boost in the second half of the season at that time.

“(There’s) not an exact date but he’ll be guided by his specialist.

“Once he’s recovered from his surgery he’ll be able to keep fit, run and get prepared in that way, without any contact.

“Once the specialist ticks him off to get contact he’ll soon after be back in.

“He’s not one to shy away from contact.”

O’Keefe said in the mean time the 33-year-old would help him as a coach to the team.

Last season Cunnington revealed to the Herald Sun coming back to local footy renewed his passion for the game.

Ben Cunnington is chaired off after his final game. Photo by Michael Klein.
Ben Cunnington is chaired off after his final game. Photo by Michael Klein.

“That fun, enjoyment, passion, the love for the game all came back in spades because I could take it all in,” Cunnington, 33, said.

“When the ball was in your area you do your thing of course but when it went up I would just look away and see all the families, supporters and everyone amongst it.

“Seeing that definitely brought a lot of joy to me.”

Warrnambool starts its Hampden league campaign on April 5 against Hamilton.

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/ben-cunningtons-footy-career-on-hold-after-latest-health-setback/news-story/0fd9521d902eb2994b57b375c79368f8