China Bar worker blames bad luck for social distancing fine
A worker at the Fitzroy venue slapped with the first ever fine for ignoring social distancing rules claims they were simply the victim of bad luck and coincidence. Police say the restaurant/bar was serving alcohol and operating as normal.
HS Coronavirus News
Don't miss out on the headlines from HS Coronavirus News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
A staff member at the Fitzroy venue slapped with a near $10,000 fine for ignoring social distancing rules believes they were the victims of bad luck.
China Bar in Brunswick St was the first recipient of on-the-spot fines introduced by the state government to enforce strict measures to stop the coronavirus outbreak.
Police accused them today of being uncooperative and running the business as usual.
But Krystal Khor told the Herald Sun it was bad luck and “coincidence” that two men were drinking there when police visited.
“It was a friend of the owner and his friend … I have only seen one of them before a couple of times.”
She claimed staff were unaware the pair were drinking at the bar, which was open to takeaway only, and they were “already drunk when they got there”.
“We were quite unlucky with that situation, like really unlucky. We didn’t see them sitting down.”
Asked if it was fair for China Bar to have to pay the fine she said: “Not really. It was a coincidence — they were only there to find the boss.”
Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton said today the venue was issued a $9,913 fine, and that the pub’s staff were not cooperative, refusing to state how long they had remained open or why they remained open.
“A licensed bar in Fitzroy had six staff there present, two people present being served alcohol, and it was being treated as business was open totally,” he said.
“They refused to state how long they had been open or why they were open, in effect, giving a no comment response.
“Unless you’re living under a rock or you’re an idiot, it’s quite clear the restrictions are there.”
Ms Khor said the bar owner told her he would pay the fine, but that it would be difficult as business had fallen dramatically.
“My boss said it was unlucky we got involved like this and it is all a big mistake.”
Both she and her boss were outside the restaurant on Saturday night and didn’t see the two men come in and sit down, she said.
The restaurant’s manager — believed to be the owner’s father — told the Herald Sun he did not speak English well, but insisted they had done nothing wrong.
China Bar would stay open as long as it was able to before any further restrictions were imposed, Ms Khor said.
Victoria Police has conducted 1225 spot checks in the past 24 hours at homes, businesses and non-essential services across the state as part of Operation Sentinel.
READ MORE
HOW YOU CAN GET $1500 WAGE SUBSIDY