NewsBite

EXCLUSIVE

Rick Nugent walks from top job weeks after controversial axing of Shane Patton

Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has sensationally resigned after just 41 days in the job as allegations of “inappropriate conduct involving a conflict of interest” were made to the anti-corruption watchdog.

Why Rick Nugent is quitting Victoria's top cop job

Victoria’s Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has sensationally quit the force after just 41 days in the job.

The Herald Sun can reveal Mr Nugent informed the Allan government on Tuesday afternoon he wanted to depart as soon as possible, citing the stress of the job.

Mr Nugent’s stunning resignation comes as allegations of “inappropriate conduct ­involving a conflict of interest” during his previous stint as a commissioner were made to Victoria’s anti-corruption watchdog.

Mr Nugent, hand-picked by the government to take on the caretaker role in mid-February after the controversial axing of his predecessor Shane Patton, is expected to notify the force’s 22,000 employees of his decision to leave on Wednesday morning.

Mr Nugent has indicated he is keen to get out within days, forcing the government to scramble to find yet another interim chief while the hunt continues for a permanent top cop.

Until this week, Mr Nugent had been expected to apply for the five-year chief commissioner term – which comes with an annual pay packet of up to $750,000 – and senior sources said he was the clear favourite.

How the Herald Sun broke the story.
How the Herald Sun broke the story.

Mr Nugent publicly confirmed he would not apply for the position of chief commissioner in a statement released early Wednesday morning.

“This has been one of the most difficult decisions of my working life,” he said.

“The job of chief commissioner demands an exceptional candidate. It requires the strongest capabilities and a commitment to go the distance. Always on, never off, for the full five-year term. That is what our hardworking members and employees deserve.

“After almost four decades at Victoria Police, plus 18 months as emergency management commissioner, I cannot say, hand on heart, that I have it in me to fulfil the duties of this office for the full five years. It is simple yet unavoidably true, life is short and there are other passions and opportunities that I wish to pursue.”

Victoria Police Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has quit. Picture: AAP
Victoria Police Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has quit. Picture: AAP

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Mr Nugent said he would finish up in the role at a time that “works best for the organisation, also for government”.

“I’m not going to apply for the commissioner’s job, which essentially means that I’ll resign,” he said, noting he would step aside sometime in the coming weeks.

Since Mr Nugent’s appointment as acting chief on February 19 he has been dogged by complaints to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission.

Among them was a 25-page complaint from ousted deputy commissioner Neil Paterson, who accused Ms Allan, Police Minister Anthony Carbines and Mr Nugent of “corruption and misconduct in public ­office”.

Mr Nugent said the IBAC investigation had nothing to do with his decision, saying he was “disappointed that there’s an IBAC investigation” but was satisfied that he had not “breached any policies and guidelines”.

The Allan government is in crisis mode with another police bombshell. Picture: AAP
The Allan government is in crisis mode with another police bombshell. Picture: AAP

The shock resignation is a major embarrassment for Premier Jacinta Allan, whose government has been blamed for sparking a crime crisis after weakening bail laws against the advice of Victoria Police’s top brass.

Mr Patton, who had served in the role since 2020 and was keen to continue for another term, was axed by the government due to what Ms Allan described as an “unprecedented” vote of no-confidence by police rank-and-file members.

That came just over a week after the government had said he would be reappointed.

The Herald Sun last month revealed that about the same time, the government had ignored a seven-point plan presented by Mr Patton to fix the state’s broken bail laws.

Instead, under mounting community pressure, the government introduced a “tough” new bail regime in March, weeks after it had dismissed Mr Patton.

Shane Patton was axed by the government after a no-confidence vote by police members. Picture: Luis Enrique Ascui
Shane Patton was axed by the government after a no-confidence vote by police members. Picture: Luis Enrique Ascui
Neil Paterson filed an explosive complaint with both IBAC and the Ombudsman. Picture: Ian Currie
Neil Paterson filed an explosive complaint with both IBAC and the Ombudsman. Picture: Ian Currie

The Herald Sun last month revealed Mr Paterson had filed the explosive complaint with both IBAC and the Ombudsman, alleging he and Mr Patton were victims of an “unlawful” conspiracy to ­remove them both from the force.

In the submission, Mr Paterson called for an investigation into whether the Allan government had approached Mr Nugent to take on the acting chief commissioner role before moving to ditch Mr Patton.

Mr Paterson wants records of phone calls and emails ­between the government and Mr Nugent in the weeks leading up to his appointment as acting chief analysed.

“I hold the view that the Premier and Minister for Police had already commenced discussions with Rick Nugent early in the week commencing Monday, 10 February 2025, about imminently returning to Victoria Police as acting chief, with a view to installing him as the next chief commissioner,” he stated in his complaint.

“I also hold the firm view that in those discussions Rick Nugent agreed that he would return, but on the condition that I was not one of his deputy commissioners.”

How the Herald Sun broke Patton’s sacking. Picture: Herald Sun
How the Herald Sun broke Patton’s sacking. Picture: Herald Sun
How the Herald Sun revealed Paterson’s explosive IBAC claim on March 19.
How the Herald Sun revealed Paterson’s explosive IBAC claim on March 19.

Ms Allan and Mr Nugent denied these allegations, which are still being reviewed by IBAC.

In a further IBAC complaint, Mr Nugent was accused of “inappropriate conduct involving a conflict of interest” when he was serving as a commissioner between 2016 and 2023, when he left to become Emergency Management Victoria boss.

An IBAC spokesman said it would not comment.

A senior police source said Mr Nugent believed that after four decades in policing and 18 months running EMV he did not have it in him to commit to being the chief commissioner for a full five-year term.

“Rick has other passions and interests he wants to pursue,” he said.

“He has enjoyed exceptional support from frontline police throughout the organisation since returning, and this initially encouraged (him) into thinking he should apply.

“But on further consideration, he is now satisfied that this decision (not to apply) is what is right for himself, his family and the organisation.”

Applications for the role of chief commissioner are due to close on Friday, with the candidates to be interviewed by a government-appointed committee.

Originally published as Rick Nugent walks from top job weeks after controversial axing of Shane Patton

Original URL: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/victoria/rick-nugent-walks-from-top-job-weeks-after-controversial-axing-of-shane-patton/news-story/2efe046fa4fdb2649a1493efef0b937a