State Election 2020: The Greens promise free public transport, fast rail network for Gold Coast
A radical plan involving a fast rail network is being proposed for the Gold Coast by an election candidate. Here’s what they propose.
Council
Don't miss out on the headlines from Council. Followed categories will be added to My News.
FREE public transport and a fast rail network connecting most of southeast Queensland could be in the Gold Coast’s future as part of a plan to “unleash a tourism boom”.
The Greens announced their public transport vision for the Glitter Strip on Thursday, welcoming it as a “big win” for the city less than two months out from the 2020 election.
The plan would see free public transport statewide and a fast rail network connecting the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Toowoomba, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast.
It would also expand bus networks across the Gold Coast, aiming for a connection every 10 minutes on major road corridors.
Burleigh Greens candidate Rachel Mebberson said traffic congestion and rising travel costs had become a major issue for the city.
“Expanding our bus and rail networks and making public transport free will produce great social and environmental outcomes,” she said.
“It means fewer cars on the road, less pollution in the air, and more people being able to move around the city without being out of pocket.”
The Greens have announced candidates in the majority of Gold Coast electorates, with plans to unveil their Southport and Mermaid Beach candidates within the month.
The State Government election will be held on October 31.
COUNCIL WARNS RESIDENTS ABOUT CONSTRUCTION CHALLENGES
THE council is to warn Gold Coast residents about construction challenges during light rail Stage 3 from Broadbeach to Burleigh as the State Government prepares to announce a preferred builder.
A report to council last week revealed the Transport and Main Roads department will distribute about 25,000 newsletters on the project this month.
MORE LIGHT RAIL NEWS
Gold Coast Light Rail Prediction: LNP’s “diabolical” promise of business case for western route
Transport Minister calls on LNP to dump MP from light rail planning
Millions to be spent on business case for airport link
Both the council and Government are eager to avoid a backlash from residents and businesses which occurred during the difficult build for Stage 1 of light rail through the Southport CBD.
The report said TMR, council, and GoldLinQ would make contact with businesses to promote a questionnaire.
“This early engagement and questionnaire is critical to ensuring the appointed contractor understands how local businesses operate in order to minimise impacts where possible,” the report said.
The council report, presented to councillors at a Transport Committee today, provided the following warnings about what to expect during construction:
* removal of street parking
*parking restored following construction where road width permits
* temporary traffic changes including intersection works, U-turn facilities and lane closures.
* upgrades and relocation of underground services
* night and weekend works so essential services are not disrupted during peak times
*removal and replacement of footpaths and landscape upgrades in key precincts
*some permanent changes to intersections and new pedestrian crossing points
The $709 million extension to Burleigh Heads is being funded by the Federal Government, council and State Government.
The report said two shortlisted tenderers - John Holland Pty Ltd and CPB Contractors Pty Limited - had been involved in the “interactive tender process”.
“A preferred tenderer is expected in late 2020, with government approval and contract award to follow,” the report said.
The report detailed a timeline for the project which indicates detailed design of tram route would begin later this year and construction works to start by early 2021.
HART QUESTIONS OPPONENT’S STANCE
BURLEIGH LNP MP Michael Hart has questioned whether his Labor opponent, legendary surfer Wayne “Rabbit” Bartholomew, really supports light rail heading south.
“He says he’s five years too late about light rail coming through Burleigh,” Mr Hart told the Bulletin.
“Is he saying this decision was made five years ago, the route was locked, can nothing be changed? If that’s the case, what are we exactly consulting for with the next stage of light rail?
“If the decision has already been made where it goes, what are we consulting – the colour of the tram, or how many trees along it, because it certainly doesn’t sound like it’s the route.”
Mr Hart said Mr Bartholomew needed to be asked about his real position on the trams.
“The other question he needs to be asked is does he support light rail going down the highway all the way through Palm Beach or not, because I’m told he doesn’t, and he’d have to support the party line,” he said.
Mr Hart said most surfers understood “Rabbit” was not a tram supporter and had been unhappy about following Labor’s policy on light rail.
MORE ELECTION NEWS
COVID and economy centre stage at first major election event
Labor’s Bonney candidate targets Gold Coast MP in marginal seat
LNP Gaven candidate slammed over Berlin Wall border jab
But Mr Bartholomew hit back hard at the comments, and said: “To think that anybody, let alone Michael Hart, speaks for (the Gold Coast surf community) is ludicrous.
“My position has been clear since day one. Our entire community needs to continue to be consulted on this project, and their views need to be taken into account when finalising it.
“The people of Burleigh cannot trust Michael Hart and the LNP to lead this process.
“He has zero record of delivery for our community during the eight years he’s been in office and has repeatedly shown poor judgement when it comes to borders and our health response to COVID-19.
MORE LIGHT RAIL NEWS
Palm Beach residents fear retribution over Gold Coast Stage 4 light rail debate
Wayne ‘Rabbit’ Bartholomew lands solid blow for Palm Beach light rail
Millions to be spent on business case for light rail airport link
“The LNP has no coherent plan for transport on the Gold Coast. Just a legacy of failure.”
Mr Bartholomew has previously taken an anti-development stance and is regarded in the community as a strong environmentalist.
In a 2013 Bulletin column he spoke out against a “Los Angeles-style skyline” due to overdevelopment on the Coast.
“The charm and beauty of the Gold Coast, it would be a shame to lose it,” he said at the time.
“It’s still one of the world’s most beautiful places. I wouldn’t like to see it become end-to-end high rise.
“Some people say, ‘Turn it into an LA skyline.’ If we do that we lose the charm.”
As early as 2002 he told the Bulletin he feared the Gold Coast would lose its beach culture: “It scares me that when you’ve got that much money, you might look at the view of the beach and say we’d rather see a boat harbour here.”