NewsBite

Prince Harry’s charity Sentebale under investigation by the UK’s Charity Commission

Prince Harry has spoken about the announcement that Britain’s Charity Commission will examine issues engulfing Sentebale, the charity he founded amid the bitter fallout at the organisation.

Prince Harry accused of bullying as charity rift blows up

Prince Harry’s troubled-plagued charity Sentebale is under investigation by the UK’s Charity Commission who will scrutinise “concerns” at the organisation including its compliance and legal duties.

On Thursday (Friday AEDT), the Commission announced it is dealing with all parties who have raised concerns about conduct at the organisation and will “determine whether the charity’s current and former trustees, including its chair, have fulfilled their duties and responsibilities under charity law”.

Sentebale’s Board Chair Dr. Sophie Chandauka (left) with Prince Harry, accused the organisation of misogyny and bullying. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale
Sentebale’s Board Chair Dr. Sophie Chandauka (left) with Prince Harry, accused the organisation of misogyny and bullying. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale

Shortly after the Commission announced the inquiry Prince Harry spoke of his “relief” at the latest development.

“From the inception of Sentebale nearly twenty years ago Prince Seeiso and I have had a clear goal – to support the children and young people in Southern Africa in memory of our mothers,” the Duke of Sussex said.

“What has transpired over the last week has been heartbreaking to witness, especially when such blatant lies hurt those who have invested decades in the shared goal.

“No one suffers more than the beneficiaries of Sentebale itself”.

He also said he was looking forward to a “robust inquiry” to help “unveil the truth that collectively forced us to resign”.

Prince Harry, with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, spoke of his “relief” at the latest development. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale
Prince Harry, with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, spoke of his “relief” at the latest development. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale

Dr Chandauka also issued a statement and said she “welcomed the Commission’s decision to proceed with a regulatory compliance case to consider the various governance, administration and management matters I first reported in February 2025.

“For completeness I should mention that we initiated an internal governance review last year, the findings of which we will share with the Charity Commission”.

The latest development comes after Prince Harry and the organisation’s co-founder Prince Seeiso of Lesotho recently quit the charity as did all the trustees after an untenable relationship emerged with the board’s chair Dr Sophie Chandauka.

Dr Chandauka made bombshell allegations against the conduct of those at the organisation in an interview with Sky News UK on Sunday.

This included accusing Prince Harry of “bullying at scale” and said she fell victim to the “Sussex PR machine”.

Dr Sophie Chandauka (far right) said she had been a victim of the “Sussex PR machine”. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale
Dr Sophie Chandauka (far right) said she had been a victim of the “Sussex PR machine”. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale

She said during the TV interview: “The only reason I’m here … is because at some point on Tuesday, Prince Harry authorised the release of a damaging piece of news (him quitting the charity) to the outside world without informing me or my country directors, or my executive director.

“And can you imagine what that attack has done for me, on me and the 540 individuals in the Sentebale organisations and their family?

“That is an example of harassment and bullying at scale”.

Top left: Prince Seeiso of Lesotho (top middle) Prince Harry and (bottom, far right) Dr. Sophie Chandauka are embroiled in a bitter war of words. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale
Top left: Prince Seeiso of Lesotho (top middle) Prince Harry and (bottom, far right) Dr. Sophie Chandauka are embroiled in a bitter war of words. Picture: Getty Images for Sentebale

Sources close to the former trustees of the charity have vehemently denied Dr Chandauka’s claims which include bullying, harassment, misogyny and racism.

Sentebale was established in 2006 by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho with the objective of helping children and young people including those living in Africa with HIV/Aids.

The Charity Commission said in a statement on Thursday: “The Commission is not an adjudicator or mediator and is guided by the principle of ensuring trustees fulfil their primary duty to their charitable purpose and beneficiaries.

“After a period of assessing the initial concerns raised with the Commission, the regulator informed the charity on 2 April 2025 it has opened a regulatory compliance case.

“The regulator has not made any findings at this time”.

On Sentebale’s website Prince Harry still features prominently in videos and photographs despite quitting the organisation.

Originally published as Prince Harry’s charity Sentebale under investigation by the UK’s Charity Commission

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-harrys-charity-sentebale-under-investigation-by-the-uks-charity-commission/news-story/5868ad53b2ac39b07c1411ccd48eebcd