Men arrested, knives seized after fight in Wetherill Park shopping centre food court
Hospitality workers at a shopping centre in Sydney’s west have recounted chaotic scenes following an armed brawl that erupted on Friday and saw two men arrested.
Police & Courts
Don't miss out on the headlines from Police & Courts. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Hospitality workers at a shopping centre in Sydney’s west have recounted chaotic scenes following an armed brawl that erupted on Friday.
NSW Police were called to Stockland at Wetherill Park just after 2pm, following reports of armed men fighting inside the centre.
Police arrested two men inside the shopping centre food court and two knives were seized.
No injuries were reported at the time.
A few hours later, Wetherill Park Stockland appeared to be business as usual for a Friday evening, with families strolling with babies in tow, and teenagers in sweatpants armed with shopping bags.
However the food court wass eerily quiet. Tables were empty and — bar McDonalds — all restaurants are closed.
Aryan Thakur, 21, a waiter at Brew & Grind Cafe, told The Daily Telegraph that witnessing the brawl had been a “terrifying” experience.
“We looked out the window and saw people yelling and running (out of the centre),” he said.
“And then someone ran up to the window and said to the barista, ‘oh, there’s a stabbing, close everything. (Then they) ran away.“
Danny Shah, 24, who was on the barista counter, said he immediately shut the window and closed the doors.
“We later got to know that it was two kids who started arguing. And then one of them pulled a knife or machete and it escalated from there,” he said.
“At that point, we didn’t know what was happening. Security were running, people were running, nobody had any information, everyone was panicking.
“I was just hoping nobody would get hurt getting out of there.”
Mr Thakur said the centre “didn’t go into lockdown” but many shopkeepers around the food court had closed their stores by the time the centre announced that “everything was under control” about 3.30pm.
“But most people, even the shop across from us, the shops around the food court, they left about 2.30pm,” he said.
Mr Thankur, from neighbouring Mount Pritchard, and Mr Shah, from Marsden Park, said they had never seen such incidents in-person but heard of similar brawls involving young men around the area.
“I’ve heard of (similar) things happening in Mount Pritchard, Prestonville.
Anyone with information in relation the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.