NewsBite

Future of senior Saints undecided, young players to sign contract extensions

ST KILDA’S players have vowed there will be no repeat of last year’s dwarf-lighting furore with the players to hold a private end-of-season celebration next Wednesday.

AFL Round 20 St Kilda v Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium. Sam Fisher handballs clear. Pic: Michael Klein. Sunday August 10, 2014.
AFL Round 20 St Kilda v Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium. Sam Fisher handballs clear. Pic: Michael Klein. Sunday August 10, 2014.

ST KILDA’S players have vowed there will be no repeat of last year’s dwarf-lighting furore with the players to hold a private end-of-season celebration next Wednesday.

The Saints will hold exit interviews on Monday and Tuesday next week where the futures of Sam Fisher, James Gwilt, Adam Schneider and Clint Jones will be revealed.

The club’s top three draft picks last year in Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres will all sign contract extensions next week, with exciting forward Spencer White also to sign a new deal in coming weeks.

But given the controversy after tagger Jones lit a dwarf hired as entertainment last year the players are determined to celebrate the careers of veterans including Lenny Hayes in an appropriate manner.

Saints football boss Chris Pelchen said yesterday the club was adamant there would not be a repeat of that embarrassing episode.

“We understand the obligation we as a group in terms of players and staff have got, not just to St Kilda but also to the industry,’’ he told the Herald Sun.

“We received a lot of publicity last year and it has been a discussion point this week.

“There won’t be a formal activity on Monday and Tuesday, we have exit interviews after our Sunday game, so the players have a private function midweek which is closed to external people and external entertainment.

“It will be a celebration of the season, not something which gets out of hand.”

Young gun Jack Billings in action during Round 1. Pic by Colleen Petch.
Young gun Jack Billings in action during Round 1. Pic by Colleen Petch.

Billings, Dunstan and Acres will have seasons added on to deals which expire at the end of next year.

Fisher’s management told St Kilda this week he wants to play on, but Pelchen said a decision was yet to be made on the older players.

“Players like Gwilt, Fisher, Schneider and Jones are out of contract and we have had discussions that have progressed fairly and amicably,” Pelchen said. “That will be clarified next week on Monday and Tuesday.

“Clearly Sam has expressed to us he would like to stay at St Kilda and physically says he is in a position to play on but that’s what we will discuss literally over the next few days.”

Goalsneak Terry Milera will move back to Adelaide, with Sean Dempster’s solid season is sure to see him play on.

Hayes will retire and consider a future in coaching, with key position player Beau Maister having already retired.

Trent Dennis-Lane has played just one game this year and is set to be delisted with St Kilda on record as a solid chance to recontract Ahmed Saad after he finishes a drug ban.

Originally published as Future of senior Saints undecided, young players to sign contract extensions

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/st-kilda/future-of-senior-saints-undecided-young-players-to-sign-contract-extensions/news-story/6cfbe0e503ef6f103ac5a67c174d2550