Major stuff-up as loaded guns snuck into MCG, arrests made
The MCG’s loaded gun security breach scandal has taken a twist with AFL and stadium officials announcing major action will be taken.
AFL
Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
The MCG and AFL have announced major security action will be taken after two men allegedly entered the stadium carrying loaded guns on Thursday night.
Victoria Police confirmed both men are alleged to have carried separate firearms when they evaded security to enter the iconic stadium during the AFL blockbuster between rivals Carlton and Collingwood.
There were 82,058 spectators in attendance.
Extraordinary details about the incident have come to light with police confirming the two men will face court on Friday.
The Herald Sun first reported, it is alleged the two men carried the guns down their pants when entering the venue.
Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) chief executive Stuart Fox responded to the incident on Friday morning announcing that the reason for the security breach has been identified.
The statement released by the MCC, which manages the MCG, shows the security stuff-up occurred after further action failed to be taken by security staff despite screening units identifying items of concern allegedly carried by the two men.
“Last night’s incident is extremely disappointing and upsetting and highlights why we continue to explore and invest in new technologies to assist us in keeping the community safe,” Fox said.
“Our security screening units identified items of concern and further investigation was required, our initial internal investigation identified a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening process.
“As a result, we will be increasing the extensiveness of the secondary manual security process and patrons may experience slight delays as they attend upcoming events.
“We will continue to work closely with Victoria Police, the AFL and our security provider in executing the MCG’s security procedures.
“I want to thank Victoria Police and the AFL for their support last night and as always, our common and number one priority is the ongoing wellbeing and safety of all patrons and everyone involved in the delivery of an event.”
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon also released a statement communicating that added security measures will be in place for Richmond’s clash with the Swans at the venue on Saturday. That match is the only other game played at the MCG this round.
“During last night’s game at the MCG, the AFL integrity team was made aware by Victoria Police that two patrons were arrested, and it is alleged both were carrying firearms,” Dillon said.
“Both men were quickly removed from the venue and remain in police custody, and I want to acknowledge the work of the police officers on the scene for acting swiftly to contain the situation.
“Overnight the MCG worked to identify how the two men were able to enter the venue, which concluded that security personnel failed to do a thorough follow up search of the patrons after an alert from the entry point screening system.
“First thing this morning I had a conference call with the MCG and Victoria Police.
“There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in conjunction with Victoria Police and the AFL will conduct an end to end review of security measures at the ground.
“What happened last night is extremely disappointing, more than 1.2 million fans have attended the football so far this season and we will work closely with authorities to ensure the matches and venues continue to be a safe and welcoming place for all.
“Both patrons who were arrested last night will be issued lifetime banning notices from the AFL for attending any match.”
The men were able to enter the venue undetected despite the MCG recently installed new AI security scanners with technology that is supposed to detect dangerous items, including guns.
The system has reduced the number of physical security checks, The Age reports
It is not known how the men gained entry to the MCG while carrying weapons.
Victoria Police has since confirmed multiple charges have been laid. Both men were out on bail.
According to a police statement, officers were called by security staff to assist with two men refusing to leave the venue as a result of their behaviour around 8.30pm.
It is only during a search of the men that the firearms are alleged to have been located.
A 27-year-old Broadmeadows man has been charged with six offences.
Those charges are:
— Possess unregistered handgun
— Possess ammunition without licence
— Alter serial number of a firearm
— Possess loaded firearm
— Possess prohibited item (Major Event Act offence)
— Fail to appear on bail.
A 21-year-old Roxburgh Park man has been charged with:
— Prohibited person possess firearm
— Possess ammunition without licence
— Commit indictable offence whilst on bail.
The arrests were witnessed by onlookers at the stadium, with a significant police presence seen after the match, The Age reports.
No one was injured in the incident.
The men were remanded to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Collingwood defeated Carlton by 17 points.
The army of Collingwood fans left the venue smiling as their team picked up its third win of the season.
Meanwhile, Carlton coach Michael Voss’ job is hanging by a thread after the Blues slumped to 0-4, having won just two of their past 13 games.
Originally published as Major stuff-up as loaded guns snuck into MCG, arrests made