Pro-Palestine protesters vow to push on with Melbourne rallies
The state’s peak business lobby is calling for an end to ongoing pro-Palestine protests in the city, declaring ‘enough is enough’ as organisers vow to expand their plans to disrupt Melbourne’s CBD.
Victoria
Don't miss out on the headlines from Victoria. Followed categories will be added to My News.
The state’s peak business lobby is calling for an end to ongoing pro-Palestine protests in the city, as organisers vow to push on with their plans to disrupt Melbourne’s CBD despite the announcement of a six-week ceasefire deal.
Victorian Chanber of Commerce and Industry acting chief executive Chanelle Pearson on Friday said in response Melbourne businesses had already endureed 15 months of these protests.
“Enough is enough,” she said.
“There is now a pathway to peace in the Middle East and yet another protest in Melbourne is unlikely to have an impact on accelerating that pathway.
“With city businesses benefitting from the increased foot traffic from the Australian Open, the last thing they should be dealing with this weekend is yet another protest. Let our traders enjoys the spoils of the AO.
“Protests discourage Victorians from coming into the city which hurts businesses, especially small businesses. Traders are enjoying the swell of tennis fans attending the Australian Open – we don’t want anything to damage our reputation with visitors – the protests continue to have a negative impact.”
It comes after Organisers of the Free Palestine movement yesterday declared they intend to expand their movement, saying the ceasefire is just “the first step”.
The Australia Palestine Advocacy Network said the ceasefire deal was “long overdue” and it was “little more than a bandage over an open wound”.
“We will continue to build on our work and grow the movement to end apartheid,” president Nasser Mashni said.
“The ceasefire must not be a smokescreen for complacency.”
The group is calling for sanctions to prevent further violations of international law, investigations into perpetrators of war crimes, liberation and self-determination for Palestinians, and international support to rebuild the ruins of Gaza.
“The resilience of Palestinians is not just a story of survival but a call to the world to end its complicity,” Mr Mashni said.
“To remain silent in the face of this brutality is to stand on the wrong side of history.”
Jewish Labor MP Josh Burns said he held onto hope that the ceasefire agreement marked a start to a new path of “peace, humanity and understanding” for Israelis and Palestinians.
“This war has been devastating and the loss will be felt forever,” he said.
“Today, we join them in waiting for the return of every hostage and the rebuilding of every home,” Mr Burns said.
“For people like me, who just want to see their family, friends, and the entire region live in peace – today is a step towards that.
“The future of Israelis and Palestinians is intertwined and I want to see an end to this conflict for good.”
Meanwhile, Acting Premier Ben Carroll said he hoped the deal would end violence and hatred on the streets of Melbourne.
“This is a major step forward for social cohesion,” he said.
“(Anti-Semitism) has gone from the shadows to the open and there is no place (for it) in our state, in our nation, or anywhere in the world.”
Originally published as Pro-Palestine protesters vow to push on with Melbourne rallies