NewsBite

BREAKING

Tasmania records first measles case in three years sparking urgent health warning

Health officials have issued an urgent alert after Tasmania recorded a case of measles with multiple exposure sites across Hobart’s CBD identified. Read the latest.

Confirmed measles case at RHH. File picture
Confirmed measles case at RHH. File picture

Health authorities are warning Tasmanians to be vigilant after a man in his 20s was admitted to hospital with measles – the first case in the state for nearly three years.

The Department of Health says the person was admitted to the Royal Hobart Hospital with symptoms on Saturday.

The department says it could be linked to recent cases in Queensland as the infectious man arrived in Hobart on Monday November 17 via commercial flight VA1006 from Brisbane.

The person spent time at locations across the city including Hobart Airport, Hobart YHA, McDonalds and Woolworths in the CBD.

The department has provided a list of locations and says anyone who has visited during the days and times listed should be vigilant for symptoms of measles.

“The time between exposure to the measles virus and becoming unwell can be up to 18 days,” a spokesman said.

“Symptoms include fever, runny nose, sore eyes and a cough.

“A red, blotchy rash starts a few days later, usually spreading from the head to the rest of the body.

“Measles is a highly infectious illness caused by a virus that is spread through the air when someone who is infectious coughs or sneezes.”

People who develop symptoms are advised to isolate and seek medical care as soon as possible.

They are asked to call ahead to their GP or local emergency department to let them know they might have measles to allow plans for the visit, by supplying a face mask to the person with symptoms and isolating them from others to prevent the infection spreading to staff or other patients.

The department says people who are not immune and at risk of catching measles are:

•people born during or since 1966 who have not had two documented doses of measles-containing vaccine

•babies or young children under 18 months of age who have not yet had two doses of measles-containing vaccine

•people with a weakened immune system (e.g. undergoing chemotherapy, high-dose steroids), even if they have previously been vaccinated against measles vaccine or have had a past measles infection.

Tasmanians are encouraged to make sure they are up to date with their measles vaccination. Two doses of a measles-containing vaccine provide a high level of protection against measles.

The measles-containing vaccine is safe and effective and is routinely recommended for all children at 12 to 18 months of age. Infants aged 6 to over 12 months can have their first dose of measles vaccine early if they are travelling overseas to endemic or outbreak areas.

If you or a family member were not present at any of the locations at the times listed above, but are experiencing measles symptoms, or have questions about measles, please call your GP or Healthdirect on 1800 022 222.

susan.bailey@news.com.au

Originally published as Tasmania records first measles case in three years sparking urgent health warning

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tasmania/tasmania-records-first-measles-case-in-three-years-sparking-urgent-health-warning/news-story/bda49fccc205d9bf53d527f1deac3438