Breakfast radio king Alan Jones visits attempted murderer in jail
2GB breakfast king Alan Jones has repeatedly visited former Joe Hockey adviser Joel Betts in jail, where the 39-year-old is serving a 16-year jail sentence for the attempted murder of his ex-girlfriend.
A former federal Liberal staffer and reality show contestant who was jailed after trying to kill his girlfriend has been receiving prison visits from superstar broadcaster Alan Jones.
Prison sources report the 2GB breakfast king has repeatedly been to Kirkconnell Correctional Centre to visit former Joe Hockey adviser Joel Betts, where the 39-year-old is serving a 16-year jail sentence for the attempted murder of ex-girlfriend Samantha Holland in the Chippendale unit they once shared.
Holland had jumped off the balcony of the third-floor apartment in a bid to save her life after she was stabbed repeatedly in the back and neck on April 17, 2010.
The court heard Betts, a former Australian Survivor contestant, stabbed her up to eight times before inflicting serious wounds to his own stomach. He then stabbed Holland another 20 times.
MORE NEWS
KILLERS, TERRORISTS AND SEX OFFENDERS IN OUR SUBURBS
TRAGIC DEATH OF AUTISTIC BOY LOCKED IN SHED
THE CONCUSSION SOWARD CANNOT FORGET
Holland told the court Betts had tried to kill her and himself, declaring that he “wanted to die together so we could be together for eternity’’.
In 2015, Betts launched an unsuccessful appeal over the 11-year minimum sentence, in part arguing the injuries he had suffered should have been considered by the sentencing judge.
Kirkconnell, west of the Blue Mountains, is a minimum-security prison for white-collar criminals and inmates at end of their sentences.
At the time, Jones revealed he had known Betts for 10 years and that he would continue to support him in prison.
“I have seen these things in Shakespearean plays,” he reportedly said. “I know he is unbelievably emotional and regretful when he talks about it.”
THAT’S A-N-I-K-A
She was only sworn in on Tuesday but new Labor MP Anika Wells is already proving she isn’t afraid to get it wrong, repeatedly.
On orientation day, Wells did Queensland proud insisting the sunshine state was the “best country in the world” during a TV interview.
Then she misspelled the name of her own generation.
Three days out from the election, Wells was snapped standing alongside a busy Brisbane road holding a sign that read “millenials for fairness” — missing the second n.
She made the mistake again this week on Twitter.
ALBO RECRUIT
Former state opposition leader Michael Daley’s deputy chief-of-staff and head of policy has taken up a new job in the policy team of federal Labor leader Anthony Albanese.
It is not the first time Chloe Bennett has worked for a federal Labor leader (she was Kevin Rudd’s acting chief of staff) and previously worked for ex-Labor leader Luke Foley as head of policy.
Bennett’s LinkedIn profile says she has law degrees from Sydney University and Georgetown in Washington DC. She’ll be in charge of social policy.
PIE IN THE SKY
From the basket of political pipedreams, the Australian Electoral Commission says holding the federal election on the same day every three or four years would save a fortune.
While most states and territories have moved to fixed four-year terms, federal election dates must be held within three years from when parliament first sits.
“Fixed election dates could enable the AEC to conduct more co-ordinated procurement and planning of resources for all aspects of election delivery,” the commission said.
Liberal MPs believe momentum is growing to extend the federal election cycle or lock in a date every four years, but it would require changing the constitution.
Good luck with that.
GIMME A JOB
With the state and federal elections over, MPs who lost their seats are busily searching for new jobs.
However one female MP is driving her party office crazy by demanding they find her a job. “She’s ringing us non-stop, demanding we get her a job,” a party source said.
“I guess she thinks we’re responsible for her losing her seat.”
It’s not just MPs who lost their seats on the hunt for a new career — a Canberra source reckons a “high-profile MP” has been meeting with an equally well-known recruiter. Watch this space.
HONEYMOON IS OVER
Jodi McKay may be the face of a new united NSW Labor Party, but she still needs to watch her back.
MPs have told Sauce they’re just waiting for her to fall — and both Michael Daley (who’s cooling his heels on the backbench) and Chris Minns (who’s landed a high-profile portfolio) are waiting patiently to fill the gap.
We’re also told a right kerfuffle erupted after one Labor powerbroker allegedly suggested another should be thrown out the window. Letters were issued and apologies demanded.
Solidarity forever, right?
Got some sauce? Contact
linda.silmalis@news.com.au
miranda.wood@news.com.au or
annika.smethurst@news.com.au