NewsBite

Breaking

‘Deja Vu’ Lismore’s Wilson River to flood once again

Evacuation orders have been issued for the majority of the Lismore area as floodwaters threaten to break the river banks.

Tropical Cyclone Alfred to make landfall on Saturday morning

The flood-ravaged city of Lismore is facing disaster again amid fears the Wilson River’s banks could burst in a matter of hours.

Evacuation orders have already gone out for the inland city in northern New South Wales, which was decimated by record 13-metre floodwaters in 2022.

Many residents have spent the past three days fortifying their homes with sandbags, tying down loose furniture and stocking up on food and water.

Now, NSW Police Superintendent Scott Tanner has warned the river’s levee is expected to breach after 11am tomorrow, with minor flooding already causing havoc.

The Bureau of Meteorology has indicated the river is currently at 5.10 metres and rising and will likely reach the major flood level (9.70m) on Saturday morning.

Lismore prepares for the expected deluge from Cyclone Alfred. Picture: NewsWire / Glenn Campbell
Lismore prepares for the expected deluge from Cyclone Alfred. Picture: NewsWire / Glenn Campbell
Flooding Returns to Lismore

The levee protecting the Lismore CBD has a maximum height of 10.7 metres.

Lismore mayor Steve Krieg, who has evacuated his house, spoke about the devastating feeling of “de ja vu” as Cyclone Alfred loomed on Friday.

“You’ve got to give credit to the residents and business owners of Lismore. They’re just the most determined and tough people that you could ever come across. When there’s work to be done, everyone just rolls up their sleeves and gets it done,” he told the ABC.

Lismore prepares for the expected deluge from Cyclone Alfred’s expected arrival on Saturday by closing off low lying areas. Picture: NewsWire / Glen Campbell
Lismore prepares for the expected deluge from Cyclone Alfred’s expected arrival on Saturday by closing off low lying areas. Picture: NewsWire / Glen Campbell

As Cyclone Alfred inches closer to the Queensland coast, around 20,000 people have been evacuated from the Northern Rivers and Mid-North Coast regions of NSW.

Chris Minns, Premier of New South Wales, providing an update on the response to Cyclone Alfred’s expected arrival on Saturday. Picture: NewsWire / Glen Campbell
Chris Minns, Premier of New South Wales, providing an update on the response to Cyclone Alfred’s expected arrival on Saturday. Picture: NewsWire / Glen Campbell

Speaking in Lismore, NSW Premier Chris Minns said that evacuation orders had been issued to “Bowraville, parts of Macksville, parts of Port Macquarie, North Shore, Settlement Point, Hastings, River Drive, South Golden Beach and New Brighton”.

“Literally thousands of people were asked to leave their homes … the message that we’re reporting today is that (evacuation) has happened,” the Premier said.

“If you’re one of the few people that are remaining in your house and you’re in an evacuation area, you’re one of the only people in your street left, and you will literally be by yourself,” he said.

The SES confirmed that more than 29,000 homes had been issued with evacuation orders across the state’s north coast, and that five flood rescues had already taken place.

Originally published as ‘Deja Vu’ Lismore’s Wilson River to flood once again

Original URL: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/deja-vu-lismores-wilson-river-to-flood-once-again/news-story/9c08df70d54d51bb5b196a84db4bbc42