NewsBite

Ex-Seven star Matt Doran reveals new look after quitting network and moving overseas

Former Weekend Sunrise host Matt Doran has popped up looking very different after quitting his job and moving overseas.

Matt Doran announces he is leaving Weekend Sunrise

Former Seven star Matt Doran has unveiled a very different look, shortly after relocating overseas.

Doran, who quit his hosting role on Weekend Sunrise late last year, moved to the US to support his producer wife, Kendall Bora, who has taken up Nine’s bureau chief role in Los Angeles.

Doran with Seven host Kylie Gillies. He quit the network in November. Picture: Seven
Doran with Seven host Kylie Gillies. He quit the network in November. Picture: Seven

Bora and Doran, who tied the knot in 2021, shared a video on Instagram on Wednesday showing themselves eating massive toasted sandwiches – which included American “biscuits”.

In it, Doran looked a far cry from his usually-polished television self, having opted to grow a rather full beard since quitting his on-camera job.

Doran has opted for a more casual look since moving to the US. Picture: Instagram
Doran has opted for a more casual look since moving to the US. Picture: Instagram
He shared a foodie video with his wife, Kendall Bora. Picture: Instagram
He shared a foodie video with his wife, Kendall Bora. Picture: Instagram

During the video, he asked his wife: “I truly do not understand the concept of a ‘biscuit’. It has an identity crisis, agreed? So a biscuit is a scone?”

His wife clarified, “yeah, kind of. Like a savoury scone.”

However, after trying it, he conceded he’d been wrong.

Doran shared an emotional moment with Weekend Sunrise co-host Monique Wright after announcing he was leaving. Picture: Seven
Doran shared an emotional moment with Weekend Sunrise co-host Monique Wright after announcing he was leaving. Picture: Seven
His wife was formally the Today show EP – and now heads up Nine’s US bureau. Picture: Instagram
His wife was formally the Today show EP – and now heads up Nine’s US bureau. Picture: Instagram

Doran and Bora’s US move was revealed back in February, just a couple of months after he surprised viewers with news he was quitting his job to focus on his family and other work opportunities.

“Before we go today, a bit of breaking news from the Doran household,” he said at the conclusion of an edition of the show with co-host Monique Wright in November.

“I want to share with you a decision I’ve made, with my beautiful wife Kendall — and of course in earnest consultation with our beloved Italian greyhound Murphy — and that is, after five years at Weekend Sunrise, I will be finishing up at the end of the year.”

Doran said that he “agonised over” his decision because “this is one of the best jobs on earth”, but ultimately it’s “the right time for our little family”.

Doran joined Seven in 2017 as a correspondent for Sunday Night. Two years later, he took the reins as co-host of Weekend Sunrise alongside Wright.

Originally published as Ex-Seven star Matt Doran reveals new look after quitting network and moving overseas

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/exseven-star-matt-doran-reveals-new-look-after-quitting-network-and-moving-overseas/news-story/818e02cfd06dc7635c1bb3730e08b20d