Reece Walsh rejects Kiwis to stay loyal to Maroons and Australia
Reece Walsh says his heart is staying loyal to Australia and the Maroons despite an attempt to lure him to play for New Zealand.
NRL
Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Superstar Broncos fullback Reece Walsh insists he won’t walk away from Queensland and Australia after having rejected a poaching bid to defect to New Zealand.
Walsh has set the record straight on his representative future as a fresh eligibility debate explodes on the eve of Brisbane’s clash against Wests Tigers on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium.
Walsh’s Broncos teammate Payne Haas has revealed he is weighing up playing for Samoa, who have also approached the fullback’s Queensland colleague Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.
But Queensland fullback incumbent Walsh, who has New Zealand heritage, has shut the door on defecting to the Kiwis as he chases a maiden green-and-gold jumper under Australia coach Mal Meninga.
Underlining his commitment to the Maroons, Walsh has reached out to support Queensland coach Billy Slater, who was left devastated by the death of his father Ron in January.
NSW Origin enforcer Haas will almost certainly turn out for Samoa later this year, but Walsh says he won’t be following the big-name exodus to play for Australia’s trans-Tasman rivals.
“My heart is pretty set on Australia and Queensland, I grew up here and I always wanted to represent those sides,” said Walsh, who starred for the Australian Schoolboys in 2019.
“I do love that Maori side of where I’m from and I’m still learning a lot from myself.
“It’s something that I’ve always wanted to do as a kid – play for Queensland and Australia.
“First of all, I have just got to keep turning up and playing well for the Broncos and see whatever comes off the back of that.”
Ironically, Walsh’s current Broncos coach, Michael Maguire, was the man behind New Zealand’s failed poaching bid.
When Maguire was coaching the Kiwis ahead of the 2022 World Cup, he made furtive inquiries with Walsh, who at that stage had yet to make his Queensland Origin debut, giving him dual eligibility for New Zealand and Australia.
Maguire believed Walsh, who has Kiwi links via his mother, would be a revelation in the New Zealand No.1 jumper, but ‘Reece Lightning’ made it clear he had ambitions to represent the Maroons.
The Nerang product duly made his Queensland Origin debut the following year and played in all three games for the Maroons last season.
“I actually tried to get him to play for the Kiwis,” said Maguire, who coached against Walsh at Origin level with the Blues in 2024.
“But Reece wanted to go through the Origin pathway and potentially play for Australia.
“I love that Reece is in the Origin system because the best players learn even more at that level.”
As he prepares for the round 5 Tigers clash, Walsh knows he is fighting to retain his Queensland Origin jumper as rival Newcastle champion Kalyn Ponga turns up the heat.
Ponga started the season in blistering form, while the 22-year-old Walsh has been erratic, making nine blunders against Canberra and the Cowboys before stabilising against the Dolphins last week.
Ponga returned to the Queensland bench for Game Three last year and Walsh says the form of the Knights custodian is motivating him to get better.
“Yeah, of course, every time you watch ‘KP’ go out there and run out, he’s inspirational,” Walsh said.
“I’ve been watching him since I was a kid coming through school and to be in those conversations with him (for the Origin team), it’s pretty amazing.
“I have just got to keep working harder at the Broncos, putting my best foot forward and whatever comes off the back of it will come.”
Walsh says he hasn’t heard from Slater but understands the Maroons coach is dealing with some family issues. The Broncos fullback has been in contact with Slater following the passing of his father Ron, who was 72, in Cairns in late January.
Slater farewell his father, a former Foley Shield representative, at a touching funeral service in February.
“I haven’t spoken too much to Bill at the moment,” Walsh said.
“I’ve got a few things going on and I’m thinking about him.
“I did send him a little message and stuff like that.
“I hope he’s doing well, but we haven’t talked too much footy.
“I know he just wants me to keep working on my craft, building my game and if I keep doing those things, it’s pretty special to be getting mentioned in Origin chats.
“I’m forever grateful to play for Queensland.”
Walsh says he isn’t concerned by his rocks-or-diamonds start to the 2025 premiership and believes he is a more rounded player under Maguire, who is working hard on his off-the-ball fitness and efforts.
“I feel like I’ve put myself in better positions this year defensively wise,” he said.
“I’ve probably been someone that’s relied on talent and those things that come natural to my game, but things that I need to work on are those things that don’t (require) skills.
“My work at the back is improving each week. That defensive mindset is something that I’m incorporating in my game.
“It’s only round 4, it’s a big season and I’ve just got to keep building each week and turning up to training with a good attitude.
“The boys are working extremely hard together and without them, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing.”