Dana ‘Deadly’ Coolwell ready to fire against Albert ‘Chop Chop’ Gonzalez in major US bout
Months after appearing on the Jake Paul v Mike Tyson undercard, Australia’s top ranked featherweight is set to return to the US in search of redemption. Go inside his quest for world domination here.
Local Sport
Don't miss out on the headlines from Local Sport. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Australia’s top ranked featherweight Dana ‘Deadly’ Coolwell will get a chance to secure boxing redemption in the US and stamp his claims for more Las Vegas fights after booking a bout with an undefeated American.
The Sunshine Coast talent will fight Albert ‘Chop Chop’ Gonzalez on April 12 nearly six months after he went the distance against Bruce Carrington on the Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson undercard on November 24 last year.
The Beerwah resident lost in a unanimous decision.
The upcoming bout will be a major test for Coolwell who will look to improve on his 13-3 record, putting a stop to Gonzalez’s 12-0 streak.
“I’m super excited to be fighting over in America again, especially in Las Vegas where it’s a huge part of the boxing world and the boxing scene,” Coolwell said.
“Camp so far has been really good, we’re doing things a little bit differently this time but I should be peaking when it really matters.”
After securing the IBO Intercontinental World Featherweight Title in March 2024, Coolwell said it had been a whirlwind past 12 months.
“It’s definitely been a steady climb looking back but within the last year it’s been quite a step up in competition and I’ve got to keep winning to stay at this level,” he said.
Gonzalez, who fights out of the renowned Robert Garcia Boxing Academy and signed with Top Rank in 2024, brings an aggressive, pressure-heavy style to the ring.
“He’s a come forward, pressure fighter but I believe my style matches up well against him,” Coolwell said.
“My reach and footwork should help me but I’m not taking away from what he’s capable of.
“I’m preparing for a tough fight but this is what I want to do, fight against the best opponents in the world and take my opportunity.”
Hinterland Boxing Club owner and Coolwell’s coach Steve Pitt said fighting in the US was important for the Beerwah boxer.
“It really is a different level over here, Dana is a bit disappointed with his performance last time but he knows he’s better than that and he wants to show he deserves to be at this level,” Pitt said.
“Every fight over in America is tough and that’s no disrespect to the level in Australia but we’ve seen in the past fighters build their record up and when they get that shot at the next level they’re not ready.
“We really believe Dana deserves to be at this level which is why we’ll be having a red hot crack and there’ll be no apprehension after this fight as to whether we should be here or not.
“We know we’re the b-team over here, top rank have big wraps on Gonzalez but we see holes in what he does and we’re here to spoil their party.”
Pitt thanked the ongoing support of everyone back home in Australia and on the Sunshine Coast.