NewsBite

Brisbane City Council refuses to allow hazardous tree to be removed ahead of cyclone

Wynnum residents are in panic as Brisbane City Council refuses to remove a towering 35m gum tree, despite warnings it could collapse during Cyclone Alfred’s violent winds.

Council is refusing to approve removal of a towering gumtree.
Council is refusing to approve removal of a towering gumtree.

Residents in Wynnum are on edge after Brisbane City Council refused to allow an elderly woman from cutting down a towering 35m gum tree in her backyard which threatens to fall during the impending onslaught of Cyclone Alfred.

Fears escalated over the weekend, when it was announced Cyclone Alfred was expected to cross the coast near Brisbane, with neighbours calling for urgent action from the Brisbane City Council.

Despite requests from the owner of the tree and neighbours, Brisbane City Council today refused to grant permission for the condemned tree to be lopped.

“An independent arborist inspected the tree on 11 February and recommended the tree be retained and protected,” a Brisbane council spokesman said on Monday.

A car was smashed in Alexandra Hills today when this gum tree branch fell on its bonnet. Picture: contributed
A car was smashed in Alexandra Hills today when this gum tree branch fell on its bonnet. Picture: contributed

Neighbour Paul Grice and the owner of the tree, 85-year-old Lesley Beath, have complained that the council has delayed removing the hazardous tree since April last year, despite multiple warnings from arborists and property owners.

Mr Grice said his entire street was on “panic stations” dreading what could happen if the massive Flooded Gum comes crashing down during this week’s predicted cyclone.

“Branches from this tree weigh over a tonne, and if the entire tree comes down, it could crush homes, cars, and potentially cause serious injuries or fatalities,” Mr Grice said.

Wynnum man Paul Beath in front of the tree. Picture: Judith Kerr
Wynnum man Paul Beath in front of the tree. Picture: Judith Kerr

“This should never have dragged on for this long. The council needs to put safety first and let Lesley remove this tree before it’s too late.”

The tree stands in the backyard of Ms Beath, who has been pleading with the Brisbane City Council for permission to remove it since April last year.

Ms Beath reapplied to the council again in February to get permission to remove the monster but despite repeated follow-ups, the council has yet to grant permission.

Her rental property remains vacant because she refuses to risk a tenant’s safety with the tree standing so close to the home.

“I’ve written to the council twice, provided expert advice, and even detailed how branches have already crashed into neighbouring properties — one even speared through a room in my house,” Ms Beath said

A branch from the tree crashed into this shed in January. Picture: Contributed
A branch from the tree crashed into this shed in January. Picture: Contributed

The situation became more urgent after a large gum tree crashed down across Vulture Street last week and a massive gum branch smashed into a car at Alexandra Hills on Monday, sparking fears that other trees in the area are at risk of collapsing due to high winds and saturated ground.

Shortly after that incident, the council contacted Ms Beath to arrange an inspection of her tree.

Ms Beath was told on Monday that the tree was not to be removed and that the council considered its roots to be stable.

Mr Grice said he never expected to be so worried about a tree falling with the looming cyclone.

“The thought of my home and my house being damaged — or worse, my neighbours hurt — is terrifying,” he said.

Brisbane City Council was contacted for a response.

Destruction from the falling branches of the tree in January at the Wynnum address. Picture: contributed
Destruction from the falling branches of the tree in January at the Wynnum address. Picture: contributed

The removal of the 35m tree is governed by a protection order that the council placed on the gum a decade ago.

Brisbane council said the nine-month delay stemmed from Ms Beath requesting an “overnight” pause in the assessment and refusing arborists access to inspect the tree, claims she denies.

However, that changed on Monday when the residents were given the grim news that they were not to touch the tree.

The council received her initial request in May but took until September to respond with the order that she was denied permission to remove the tree but was allowed to prune small branches without reducing the tree’s height.

The council had initially required detailed applications, including arborist reports and replanting plans, before considering the gum tree’s removal.

Last month, it reversed its stance, stating it would grant approval to remove the tree if Ms Beath reapplied.

A number of trees in the Beath property with the largest, the flooded gum, marked as T3.
A number of trees in the Beath property with the largest, the flooded gum, marked as T3.

“Safety is always our top priority, and we are willing to consider any new application to remove the tree,” the council said in a statement.

The decision reversal followed a large branch, with a diameter of 17cm, snapping off the tree in January and dropping into the canopy of a tree below where it was left dangling until a neighbour called a tree lopper to safely remove it.

Ms Beath was initially informed she could only request an update on her application if she had received no further correspondence within 20 business days — an agonising wait given the looming cyclone threat.

True Vine Trees consultant arborist Joseph assessed the tree and deemed it an “extremely high risk” due to its size, lean, and deteriorating health.

“The tree’s roots are displaced, it has significant structural weaknesses, and the risk of failure is heightened with severe weather events like the approaching cyclone,” Mr Leeds’ report said.

With Cyclone Alfred set to unleash torrential rain and damaging winds on southeast Queensland this week, residents are demanding urgent intervention before disaster strikes.

Despite Ms Beath’s willingness to cover the cost of removing the tree herself, she could face an $8000 fine for unauthorised removal due to its protected status.

Neighbours argue the council’s handling of the situation is unacceptable, especially given the imminent cyclone threat.

“This isn’t just an inconvenience; it’s a serious danger,” Mr Grice said. “If this tree falls and someone is injured, who will be held accountable?”

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/brisbane-city-council-refuses-to-allow-hazardous-tree-to-be-removed-ahead-of-cyclone/news-story/bcda74fa9891edc2ff43536f38dfce46