Editorial: Shannon Fentiman’s absurd call for Dan Purdie’s sacking
Calls for Shannon Fentiman to step down as minister were nowhere near as absurd as the one she made on Monday, writes the editor.
Opinion
Don't miss out on the headlines from Opinion. Followed categories will be added to My News.
If ever there was an example of the absurdity of politics, we saw it on Monday following the release of crime figures for the three weeks since the introduction of the government’s youth crime laws.
A staggering 227 juveniles have been arrested and charged with 484 offences since the “adult crime, adult time” laws were introduced on December 12, with Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski conceding youth crime had not decreased since his appointment last April.
All the figures prove is that the threat of adult punishment has not acted as an immediate deterrent for kid crims – either because they don’t care or they do not keep up with the news from George Street like The Courier-Mail’s readers do.
But that did not stop Opposition frontbencher Shannon Fentiman attempting to make some political capital from the figure, going on the attack and calling on Premier David Crisafulli to consider sacking Police Minister Dan Purdie.
“Is he going to sack his police minister? Because he said he would sack ministers that didn’t perform,” she said.
“He made a huge song and dance about having KPIs to ministers and underperforming ministers getting sacked.
“His own police minister makes a statement that says crime will be down and it’s not.”
It’s a ridiculous statement to make, and she should know it better than anyone.
After she replaced Yvette D’Ath as health minister in May 2023 she herself faced regular calls to stand down or be sacked over ever-worsening ambulance ramping statistics.
She laughed off the calls, which were not nearly as outrageous as the one she made yesterday about Mr Purdie.
Because as Mr Gollschewski himself pointed out, the new laws will become effective – both as a deterrent and as a means to get the worst young offenders off the streets – only when magistrates begin enforcing them.
“I can tell you that since they (the new laws) came in, we’ve arrested 430 adults on 758 charges and 227 young people on 484 charges,” he said.
“So we’re very active in that space, and we’re confident if we keep that up, and the rest of the system does its bit, including the courts, that we’ll see a change.”
The fact that the state government and the police minister are on the same page on how to reduce crime should be encouraging to Queenslanders who are feeling increasingly vulnerable on the streets and in their own homes.
Because it will take time to turn the youth crime crisis around.
Mr Crisafulli has staked his political future on it – promising, perhaps rashly, to quit if the number of crime victims does not decrease before the next state election in 2028.
And, as Ms Fentiman points out, he has also promised to sack underperforming ministers.
But while we trust the politicians and the courts will play their parts in reducing crime, it is the police who are at the coalface, who are putting their lives on the line to keep us safe.
Police frustration at our revolving-door youth detention has been palpable.
The fact that their leader sees a way out of this crisis should fill all Queenslanders with hope.
QLD TENNIS’ BRIGHT FUTURE
Tennis fans have voted with their feet, and the future of tournament tennis in Brisbane is now clear.
This season’s Brisbane International – the second to return to a regular tournament format after a flirtation with a multi-city United Cup – saw a total crowd of 106,000 spectators attend the eight-day event.
It was the most since 2014 and a clear pointer to what the fans want.
Officials are working on a long-term deal for the tournament as other states circle.
Last week Queensland Tourism Minister Andrew Powell said working with tournament director Cameron Pearson to secure a long-term future for the Brisbane International would be a priority as part of a push to grow the state’s major events calendar. It needs to be if we are to become the sporting Mecca that the Olympics and Paralympic movements demand.
“It’s clear Queensland’s passion for tennis is stronger than ever and this milestone reflects the growing passion for the sport and the dedication of our hardworking team,” Mr Pearson said.
With the Queensland Tennis Centre at Tennyson requiring an upgrade ahead of the 2032 Brisbane Games, there is scope for future events to generate even bigger crowds with more courts and more spectator seating.
When the eyes of the world are on Tennyson for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic tennis tournaments, we want the tennis centre to be a facility of which we can be proud.
Responsibility for election comment is taken by Chris Jones, corner of Mayne Rd & Campbell St, Bowen Hills, Qld 4006. Printed and published by NEWSQUEENSLAND (ACN 009 661 778). Contact details here