Works begin at Geelong Baseball Centre ahead of KT Wiz’s arrival in January
An upgrade of the Geelong Baseball Centre has begun as it prepares for the return of a Korean Baseball Association outfit in a major boost for the local economy.
Major works have ramped up at Geelong Baseball Centre as it prepares for the arrival of Korean Baseball Organisation team KT Wiz in early 2026.
Geelong Baycats coach Sam Gibbons said works had begun this month on the centre’s diamond one which are expected to be completed by around Australia Day.
The City of Greater Geelong confirmed back in March KT Wiz would return to the region for another summer training camp and to play three games.
Nearly 90 players, coaching staff and team members called the region home for six weeks early this year, injecting an estimated $1.6m into the local economy and supporting 75 local jobs.
It also played against the Melbourne Aces in February after a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the former ABL outfit, local clubs and the council.
It followed an MOU between the council and Changwon City in 2022.
Gibbons said there would be a levelling of diamond one at Geelong Baseball Centre with new turf after minor alterations were made to diamond four for training and practice matches for KT Wiz, under the terms of the MOU.
“They’ve got multimillion dollar contracts in place for players so they want to avoid injuries which is why the field is getting ripped up,” Gibbons said.
“You look from afar and it looks pristine and beautiful, which it is, and it’s definitely playable for us, but they want it to be a completely flat surface.
“It’s a very big ensemble that they’re bringing.”
The Aces confirmed on their website it would play at least one game against KT Wiz this summer.
In a statement, the council’s City Life executive director Anthony Basford said works included a new pitcher’s mound and irrigation system for the entire field.
“The timing of these works will allow access for both our local clubs and the KT Wiz training camp which commences in late January 2026,” Basford said.
The Baycats have moved a series of home games to diamond four during the Victorian Summer Baseball season as works are carried out.
The Baycats are currently third on the ladder after a 5-1 start to the season.
Local footy clubs receive a cash injection
All of the region’s football and netball clubs have received increased, biannual financial handouts from a local business.
All clubs across the GFNL, BFNL and GDFNL received $10,000 contributions – up from $7500 last year – from the Geelong Combined Leagues Club (GCLC) at its annual meeting on Thursday night, with a further payment due in March.
All three local football competitions and the Geelong Football Umpires League also receive the funding.
The GCLC, trading as Buckley’s Entertainment Centre in Breakwater since 1993, has supported all local football clubs for many years and turned a profit of $2.4m in 2024-25.
Director Richard Holz told the meeting it had previously been in a huge amount of financial trouble several years ago.
“What you’ve got to realise, this club, probably eight or 10 years ago, maybe not that far, was on its knees, it was broke and in a fair bit of strife,” Holz said.
“That’s been turned around.”
The extra cash for clubs coincides with a tough financial period for AFL Barwon which, at its last annual general meeting, reported a loss.
This masthead first reported in late 2024 that AFL Barwon, which is set to be restructured and renamed, reported a $170,000 loss.
AFL Barwon is expected to report on its 2025-25 financial situation at its next AGM in February, 2026
It comes as Buckley’s has remained “highly profitable” dispute a “turbulent year for the hospitality sector” across the nation, chairman Peter Cullen wrote in the club’s annual report.
“Factors such as the economic downturn and the continuation of changes to government regulations have also added to many hospitality businesses’ demise.
“The future of Buckley’s looks exceedingly healthy.”
Buckley’s chief executive Michael Tonks said the past financial year had been “difficult on many levels” yet produced another “fantastic financial result”.
He said the business would not be part of a state government trial of changes to operational hours, spin rates and carded play.
“Financial modelling suggests that there could be quite a significant reduction in gaming revenue (should the changes take place) which could have a substantial effect on our operational profit,” he said.
The club is spending approximately $1m on refurbishing its alfresco area and toilet facilties which is due to be completed by early 2026, underlining its focus on food and beverage options which has “increased our revenue very substantially”.
“We, unlike most Victorian clubs and hotels, don’t just rely on poker machine income,” he said.
“The ongoing issues with increased wages, high insurance costs and costs of goods have had an impact on our bottom line.”
The club took in $9.5m in gross gaming machine revenue.
Originally published as Works begin at Geelong Baseball Centre ahead of KT Wiz’s arrival in January
