NewsBite

Two boys steal cash and car and threaten worker with weapon, police allege

Two teens have allegedly held a weapon to a worker’s head before making off to Tennant Creek with a stolen car and cash. Read the latest.

Police allege the worker was assaulted at a shopping centre on Hartley St, Alice Springs. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin
Police allege the worker was assaulted at a shopping centre on Hartley St, Alice Springs. Picture: Pema Tamang Pakhrin

Welcome to the NT News’ weekly Alice Springs and Central rolling police, crime, traffic, fire and breaking news blog. Keep up with the latest news from Alice Springs right up to the Barkly.

Two boys have allegedly held a weapon to a worker’s head before making off up the Stuart Highway with stolen cash and multiple stolen cars.

The Northern Territory Police Force has arrested a 14 and 15 year old in relation to the aggravated robbery that occurred in Alice Springs on Saturday.

At about 5.30pm on Saturday police received reports of an incident at the reception of a unit complex in Percy Court, Kilgariff.

It was alleged the teens, both armed with edged weapons, entered the reception office and threatened a 39-year-old man.

One of the alleged offenders allegedly held his weapon to the victim’s head and demanded car keys.

The boys allegedly stole cash before fleeing the scene in the receptionist’s blue Holden Cruze hatchback.

One of the alleged offenders is believed to be known to the victim, who did not suffer any injuries as a result of the incident.

The stolen Holden was recovered by police south of Tennant Creek on Sunday morning.

It was alleged the offenders have since stolen a second vehicle in Tennant Creek, a black Nissan Navara.

At 9.40am on Sunday that ute was tracked by police travelling north near Mataranka.

Strike Force Trident and the Dog Operations Unit deployed, and car chase was initiated north of Adelaide River.

Tyre spikes were used and the stolen car recovered.

Investigations are ongoing and anyone with information is urged to contact police on 131 444, quoting reference number P25315907.

Medico punched in the head multiple times

November 23, 2pm: A man will face court after allegedly punching an Alice Springs Hospital worker multiple times in the head.

The 46-year-old patient was arrested after the assault on a medical staff member trying to help him on Saturday night.

At 9.15pm emergency services received a report that a 49-year-old man had been assaulted.

It was alleged the offender was being assessed when he threw the punches, forcing multiple staff to intervene and pull him off the victim.

The victim was assessed at the scene.

Police attended and arrested the 46-year-old.

He has since been charged with assaulting a worker and was remanded in custody to appear in the Alice Springs Local Court on Monday.

Boys, aged 10 and 13, arrested after worker allegedly punched in Alice Springs

November 19, 1pm: A worker in an Alice Springs shopping centre has allegedly been punched, with police arresting two young boys in connection to the assault.

NT Police alleged the 25-year-old worker was assaulted in the Hartley St shopping centre after arriving to work just after 9am.

The woman was allegedly threatened by the two youths, police said, with one allegedly striking her in the arm.

“The victim experienced pain in her arm but did not require medical attention,” police said.

The alleged offenders fled before police arrived, police said, but two boys, aged 13 and 10, were arrested on Bath St at 10am Wednesday morning.

The 13-year-old is in custody, police said, who did not mention if charges were to be laid.

The 10-year-old boy was dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act 2005, according to police.

Anyone with additional information is urged to contact police on 131 444, and quote reference P25312202.

Anonymous reports can be made to Crime Stoppers via 1800 333 000 or online.

Man, 27, charged with sexually assaulting girl

November 18, 4pm: A 27 year-old man has been charged with sexually assaulting a young girl last week.

At 5.15pm on November 13, police received a report that a man had allegedly indecently touched a child at a house in Tennant Creek.

Police attended the residence and arrested a 27 year-old man, who has since been charged with indecently touching a child under 14 and aggravated assault.

Police say the man is known to the girl.

He is in remand and will appear in Tennant Creek Local Court on December 12.

Man allegedly brandishes ‘edged weapon’ at Alice business: Cops

November 18, 11.30am: Quick thinking staff at an Alice Springs business have de-escalated a tense situation, police say, after a man entered the building allegedly armed with an “edged weapon”.

NT Police said the 53-year-old man, allegedly armed, entered the Stuart Tce business – which they did not name – around 9am Tuesday.

“It is alleged that while inside the premises, the offender made threats toward clientele and staff, before the staff were able to de-escalate the situation and the offender fled the scene,” police said.

However, police said the man was arrested on Gap Rd at 10.30am, after they “conducted extensive foot patrols”.

He is in custody with charges expected to follow.

Anyone with more information is urged to contact police on 131 444 and quote reference number P25311233.

Anonymous reports can also be made to Crime Stoppers online or via 1800 333 000.

Pair chased during alleged Red Centre ‘edged weapon’ rampage: Cops

November 17, 11.30am: A man accused of threatening people with an “edged weapon” in the Alice Springs CBD has been arrested “without incident,” according to police.

NT police allege the 42-year-old man was wielding the weapon Monday morning in the Red Centre capital, and was also allegedly threatening people.

“It is alleged at one point the offender chased two people along Parsons Street, forcing them to seek shelter in a cafe,” police said.

He was arrested “without incident” in Stuart Tce Monday morning, police said, and is custody.

Anyone with more information is urged to contact police on 131 444 and quote reference P25310261.

“Police are wishing to speak to anyone who witnessed the incident, including the two people who were allegedly chased by the offender,” police said.

Anonymous reports can also be made to Crime Stoppers online or via 1800 333 000.

Elderly man assaulted in Alice Springs robbery, cops say

November 17, 11am: A 90-year-old Alice Springs resident has been allegedly assaulted by a young girl in his own home in Alice Springs during an allegedly attempted robbery, police say.

NT Police alleged the robbery took place Saturday morning in Sadadeen, suburban Alice Springs, with police yet to find the female youth accused of the crime.

The elderly man was taken to Alice Springs hospital after the young girl allegedly pushed him to ground after he refused to hand over money, police said.

Police said the man’s wife then intervened, with the youth fleeing before police arrived.

Senior sergeant Glenn Bolger called the alleged offending “disgusting” and said police “are working tirelessly to identify and locate” the female youth accused of the crime.

Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 131 444 and quote reference P25308607.

Anonymous reports can be made to Crime Stoppers online or via 1800 333 000.

Five arrested over Tennant Creek prisoner escape

November 17, 10am: An alleged freedom foray by four Barkly prisoners, allegedly assisted by a “man known to them,” has ended with their arrest, Territory police say.

In a statement, NT Police alleged the four prisoners escaped a work camp in Tennant Creek on Saturday, with the alleged assister providing them with a change of clothes.

But the alleged bid for freedom was short lived, according to police, who arrested the five men five hours after their attempted escape.

The four prisoners have been charged with damaging property and escaping custody, and are due to appear in Tennant Creek court on Monday.

Superintendent Peter Dash called the arrests “the result of the seamless collaboration between policing units who were able to quickly track and rearrest these prisoners before they attempted to leave the Territory”.

The man accused of assisting them has been charged with four counts of assisting an escape.

He is also facing single charges of driving a motor vehicle without consent, driving a motor vehicle while unlicensed, and driving under the influence.

He was bailed and will reappear in court on January 13.

Originally published as Two boys steal cash and car and threaten worker with weapon, police allege

Original URL: https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/alice-springs-crime-man-42-in-custody-over-alleged-edged-weapon-cbd-rampage/news-story/dad8ff504be0a85d149074a7ea579da4