Qld teacher pay dispute: Union digs in for possible two-year wages war
The Queensland Teachers’ Union will go head-to-head with the education department in a battle of arbitration over pay, which could take up to two years amid warnings of a fierce fight.
The Queensland Teachers’ Union will go head-to-head with the education department in a battle of arbitration over pay, which could take up to two years amid warnings of a fierce fight.
Teachers last week overwhelmingly rejected the government’s latest pay offer of an 8 per cent pay increase over three years, which included additional sweeteners like a $1000 incentive for regional positions.
The vote of 29,000 members from the powerful union, which closed on Friday, resulted in 67.9 per cent against the offer dubbed as “historic” by the state government.
Premier David Crisafulli on Sunday confirmed they would now be going to go to arbitration.
“We’ll continue to respect them, value them and we’ll have a seat at the table,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“We put forward a deal between ourselves and the Queensland Teachers’ Union through that conciliation process, that decision has been taken by the teachers. We respect that decision.”
Asked if an 11 per cent pay rise was a figure the government would consider, Mr Crisafulli said they had put forward a deal which he believed reflected how seriously they took the work of teachers.
“Through arbitration, I’m very confident that there’ll be a deal that acknowledges how valuable the teachers are to this state,” he said.
Mr Crisafulli said he was not aware of any upcoming strikes.
QTU president Cresta Richardson thanked union members and the Queensland community for support received in the fight.
“The government can still avoid lengthy arbitration and deliver for Queensland’s teachers and school leaders with an offer that shows they truly value our profession,” she said.
Originally published as Qld teacher pay dispute: Union digs in for possible two-year wages war
