By Marc McGowan, Vince Rugari and Danny Russell
In today’s AFL briefing:
- West Coast co-captain Oscar Allen has apologised after he was caught meeting with Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell about his playing future.
- Luke Beveridge believes there is “total confusion”, even within the umpiring ranks, about how to correctly penalise tackles.
- Sydney’s injury crisis has worsened with Tom Papley set to be sidelined for up to two months.
- Adelaide’s dual AFLW premiership coach Matthew Clarke will step down after the season.
Bulldogs lose High Court appeal
Danny Russell
The Western Bulldogs have lost a High Court appeal against a multimillion-dollar payout to victim Adam Kneale for abuse he suffered at the hands of a club volunteer.
Kneale was originally awarded $5.9 million by a Supreme Court jury in 2023 – the first child abuse case against an AFL club – but it was reduced to $2.9 million, including a record $850,000 for general damages, by the Court of Appeal in December last year.
Abuse victim Adam Kneale (right) and his lawyer, Michael Magazanik.Credit: Justin McManus
The Bulldogs then sought to appeal the case to the High Court, but their application was dismissed on Thursday. Legal costs were awarded against the football club.
Kneale, now in his 50s, sued the Western Bulldogs, formerly known as Footscray, over abuse suffered at the hands of fundraising volunteer Graeme Hobbs between 1984 and 1990 at the club’s Whitten Oval headquarters and other places. Kneale was about 12 when the abuse started.
The Supreme Court heard that Hobbs, who is dead, was a “sick and disturbed sexual predator”.
Rightside Legal partner Michael Magazanik said on Thursday his client was relieved that his legal ordeal was over.
“Finally, Adam can look forward to living without the legal claim hanging over his head,” Magazanik said.
“He is proud of having fought so hard and for so long and hopes that he has given encouragement to other survivors.”
Allen sorry for Hawks meeting
Marc McGowan
West Coast co-captain Oscar Allen has apologised after he was caught meeting with Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell about his playing future – but will retain his leadership role alongside Liam Duggan.
Flanked by Eagles head of football John Worsfold, Allen said he was “remorseful” to the club’s fans and staff, and felt “ashamed” while addressing his teammates about the situation.
West Coast co-captains Liam Duggan (left) and Oscar Allen (right).Credit: Getty Images
The 26-year-old has faced significant backlash since the Mitchell catch-up became public knowledge.
Allen is set to be a restricted free agent at season’s end, with the Hawks and Brisbane – who are looking to replace Joe Daniher – among the clubs expressing interest in the star forward. Mitchell knows Allen from his time as an assistant coach at West Coast.
“I’m incredibly remorseful. I am going to continue my role as co-captain. Everyone feels like it’s the right thing to do. I feel I’m still the right man to take this club forward,” Allen said.
Hawks coach Sam Mitchell played for West Coast for a season in 2017 before beginning his coaching journey at the Eagles under Adam Simpson.Credit: Getty Images
“I’ve turned off my phone, and I don’t have social media at the moment, but clearly it’s had a massive impact on our supporters, and I’ve let them down. I’m keen to make sure this isn’t a distraction. We want to move past this.”
Allen addressed his teammates on Thursday morning and said it was a “difficult” experience.
“I [felt] bad and ashamed in front of the boys. My actions have become a distraction this week, which is exactly what I don’t want for this group. I addressed that, and I’m now looking forward to the challenge this week [against GWS],” he said.
“They’re incredibly supportive of me, [and] they all say I’m the man for the job, alongside ‘Duggo’. On game day, I feel like I’m a calming presence for the young players.
“I wouldn’t hold it against anybody if there was some bad feeling towards me. Clearly, I’m completely focused on the footy club. This is the first time I’ve gone through anything like this in my career. Everything from here [with contract negotiations] will go through my management – I won’t be involved.
“I don’t think you want a role of leadership – it just naturally evolves within you. Alongside ‘Duggo’, we complement things well, and we are in a good position to lead the club.”
Worsfold said the Eagles understood the free agency landscape and held no ill will towards Mitchell, who has quickly gained a reputation for his hands-on role in recruiting players to Waverley Park.
‘I [felt] bad and ashamed in front of the boys. My actions have become a distraction this week, which is exactly what I don’t want for this group.’
West Coast co-captain Oscar Allen
“The players have been supportive of Oscar all the way through,” Worsfold said.
“We understand the nature of free agency; this is not a unique situation. But the public nature of it, we all acknowledge is not great timing. We learnt from it.
“Free agency is a real thing within the competition. Players have a right to explore options to get the best situation for their career. This week, there’s been players from other clubs meeting other clubs, but unless it’s public [it does not become a story].”
Worsfold said it was still “the aim” to re-sign Allen, who the Eagles rate as an “outstanding young leader”.
‘Helpless’ Bevo confused about rule
The Western Bulldogs’ Luke Beveridge has teed off at the AFL, saying coaches have never felt more “helpless” about guiding their players how to tackle.
The longest-serving coach in Bulldogs history believes there is “total confusion”, even within the umpiring ranks, about how to correctly penalise tackles.
Luke Beveridge says there is plenty of confusion about AFL rulings.Credit: AFL Photos
When asked for his thoughts on Richmond forward Rhyan Mansell receiving a three-game suspension for dangerously pushing St Kilda defender Liam O’Connell into a contest, Beveridge directed his frustrations elsewhere.
“I don’t want to be too controversial today,” the 2016 premiership coach said on Thursday.
“The main one that we’re all focusing on, moving away from that [Mansell incident], is there’s just too much uncertainty across the league in regards to source pressure situations with tackling and being tackled.
The incident involving Liam O’Connell and Rhyan Mansell.Credit: Fox Footy
“No one understands the rule anymore, and it’s very difficult to coach it.
“How long can you hang on to the ball? Can you attempt to dispose of it? Throw it out, miss it completely, is it play on? No one understands it.
“So the suggestion for me was to make sure we bring back prior opportunity and validate incorrect disposal.”
The AFL adjusted their interpretations last year after coaches, led by Gold Coast’s Damien Hardwick and Carlton’s Michael Voss, called on umpires to start making faster calls on holding-the-ball decisions.
Beveridge has raised it personally with the AFL.
“We’ve gone from that to now this total confusion, so unfortunately we need a correction and it needs to come from City Hall [the AFL] and through the umpires. Because the umpires are just finding it too hard. They don’t know how to adjudicate it and our players don’t know what the decision is going to be.
“I don’t think we as coaches have ever felt as helpless around that and coaching it as we do now. I think the whole competition is confused.”
AAP
Papley adds to injury crisis
Vince Rugari
Sydney’s injury crisis has worsened with Tom Papley set to be sidelined for up to two months, while Logan McDonald has been cleared to resume playing this weekend – but will make his return through the VFL this weekend rather than being rushed into their depleted line-up.
The Swans will be missing 10 players when they face North Melbourne on Saturday, including several first-choice players in Errol Gulden (ankle), skipper Callum Mills (foot), Taylor Adams (hamstring) and defensive trio Lewis Melican (adductor), Robbie Fox (calf) and Harry Cunningham (foot).
Papley is the latest to join the club’s bulging injury ward after reporting soreness after training last weekend, when the Swans had the bye. Scans revealed the 28-year-old small forward has suffered a crack in his heel and is likely to miss between six to eight weeks, coach Dean Cox said on Thursday.
Tom Papley (centre) is out with a heel injury.Credit: Getty Images
“We’ll get a bit more verification on that in the following days. But, yeah, not great news,” he said.
“We’ve already got some key personnel out, now you get another one. Fortunately, this game moves forward, and you create an opportunity for another player.”
Some of Sydney’s injured players, like Mills and Adams, have had either slower than expected recoveries or have had setbacks in their rehabilitation, meaning that Cox won’t be able to field anything even close to resembling his best 22 until the second half of the season at best.
On the eve of Opening Round he conceded that some of his pre-season methods may have contributed to the physical toll but said it was largely a case of bad luck.
“The thing when you look at it with injuries is, are they common? Are they reoccurring? Are they avoidable? Some of these ones ... Errol tackled, Callum with plantar fascia, and, obviously, Tom now with a heel. So they’re all different,” he said.
“We’ve just got to make sure that we try and prepare our players the best way they can. We understand it is a contact game, and [we need] to push players to a limit knowing that they’ve got to withstand that game day.
“A lot of our players were slow to start through the off-season. So some of them are finding it a little bit tough through this period.”
There is better news, though, with McDonald set to play a competitive match for the first time in 2025, having undergone ankle surgery at the end of last season. However, Cox said he would need to build up his minutes – initially with the Swans’ reserves in the VFL – before he is able to properly contribute at the top level.
“He’ll be on restricted minutes, but ... Logan is in our best team,” he said. “He hasn’t trained a lot through the whole pre-season program. The first couple of weeks will just be about playing. Whether that be forward, back, on a wing, I’m not really concerned with that.”
Saturday’s clash with the Kangaroos will be the first for ex-Swans captain Luke Parker against his former side, though Cox said he will not be in for any extra treatment.
“It’ll be different. He’s playing some really good footy, as North are as well,” he said. “He’ll just be another North player ... no doubt, he’ll be trying to prove his best, like our players will as well. They’re pretty mature now. They’ll go about their business the way they need to.”
Influential AFLW coach to depart
AAP
Adelaide’s dual AFLW premiership coach Matthew Clarke will step down after the looming season.
Clarke has been the Crows’ women’s coach since 2018 but says the time will be right to relinquish the job after next season.
“My time leading this team has been the most enjoyable in my 30-plus years in football,” Clarke said in a statement on Thursday.
“Stepping away from the role will be really tough but my experience in and around the game tells me the decision is what is best for the group in the medium and longer term.
“I love footy and will forever be connected to the game but what form that takes beyond this year is something I am yet to determine.
Adelaide coach Matthew Clarke with the 2022 AFLW premiership cup.Credit: AFL Photos
“I want to throw everything I have into this season and give our players, staff and our Crows supporters the best possible chance to experience another amazing AFLW season.”
Clarke, who will coach the Crows for an eighth season, won flags in 2019 and 2022 and also has reached six preliminary finals.
The 51-year-old, nicknamed “Doc” given he’s a qualified veterinarian, had an esteemed AFL career, playing 258 games for the Brisbane Lions, Adelaide and St Kilda from 1993 to 2007.
“What Doc has done to grow and enhance the women’s game and its professionalism has been significant,” Crows chief executive Tim Silvers said. “He’s been as influential as anyone involved in the AFLW since its inception.”
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.