NewsBite

Advertisement

Comedy Festival opening night abruptly cancelled after patron dies mid-show

By Brittany Busch
Updated

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival’s opening night has abruptly ended mid-show after a patron died during the show.

Health worker Andrea Bortoli said she was sitting in the upper level’s front row at the Opening Night Comedy Allstars Supershow on Wednesday night when she noticed movement behind her.

Ambulances are seen outside the Palais Theatre in St Kilda.

Ambulances are seen outside the Palais Theatre in St Kilda.Credit: Cassidy Knowlton

“There was obviously something going on at the back, and we were kind of trying to figure out what was going on. And then people started leaving. And then it became quite obvious that someone was getting CPR,” she said.

Bortoli said people around her were crying as they left the theatre.

“It was just obviously really distressing, so we wanted to leave.”

The lights came on and patrons were told the rest of the show had been cancelled.

“Melbourne International Comedy Festival regrets to confirm that there was a medical emergency while the Opening Night Allstars Supershow was taking place this evening at the Palais Theatre,” a festival spokesperson said.

Patrons, including former premier Steve Bracks, head out of the venue after the opening night’s sudden cancellation.

Patrons, including former premier Steve Bracks, head out of the venue after the opening night’s sudden cancellation.Credit: Cassidy Knowlton

“The show was stopped and cancelled. The festival will be in touch with all ticket holders tomorrow.”

Advertisement

Victoria Police said in a statement on Wednesday evening that the man died at the scene.

“Police will prepare a report for the Coroner following the death of a man in St Kilda on Wednesday, 26 March,” a spokesperson said.

“Emergency services were called to a theatre on Lower Esplanade about 9pm. A man, who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene.”

Ambulances could be seen outside the Palais Theatre as patrons were forced to leave the show.

Former Victorian premier Steve Bracks was among the opening night attendees seen departing the St Kilda venue.

The Supershow was the first event of the four-week festival, and boasted online “a star-studded line-up featuring comedy royalty from around the globe”, hosted by comedian Michael Hing.

The Age is a partner of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Original URL: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/victoria/comedy-festival-opening-night-abruptly-cancelled-after-medical-emergency-20250326-p5lmtt.html