NewsBite

‘Completed tennis’: Novak Djokovic bomb drops on Alex de Minaur

Novak Djokovic has celebrated a special day at Wimbledon as Alex de Minaur faced reporters and didn’t hold back.

Barbora Krejcikova made a tearful Wimbledon exit as the defending champion crashed to a three-set defeat against Emma Navarro, while Novak Djokovic powered to his 100th All England Club victory on Saturday.

Djokovic’s win sets up a blockbuster fourth round showdown with Aussie Alex de Minaur who earlier won through in straight sets against August Holmgren.

Men’s top seed Jannik Sinner crushed Pedro Martinez to reach the last 16, but it was the contrasting fortunes of Krejcikova and Djokovic that took the spotlight.

Krejcikova appeared to be struggling with injury as she wept in the closing stages of the third-round clash on Court One.

Navarro took advantage to cause the latest upset in the women’s tournament following the exits of five of the top six seeds.

Krejcikova had to fight back from a set down to beat rising star Alexandra Eala in the first round before another tense three-set win over Caroline Dolehide in the second round.

There would be no dramatic escape for Krejcikova this time, with the 17th seed’s fitness problems finally catching up with her against American 10th seed Navarro.

Novak Djokovic gestures to the crowd. Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Novak Djokovic gestures to the crowd. Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Novak Djokovic celebrates on his spcial day. Photo by Glyn KIRK / AFP.
Novak Djokovic celebrates on his spcial day. Photo by Glyn KIRK / AFP.

Krejcikova, a two-time Grand Slam champion, has endured a difficult time since defeating Italy’s Jasmine Paolini in the Wimbledon final last year.

She was out of action until May after suffering a back injury and lost in the second round of the French Open.

Krejcikova also pulled out of the recent Eastbourne Open before the quarter-finals with a thigh problem.

“I was definitely enjoying myself and I was feeling quite well. Suddenly out of nowhere I just lost all my energy and I couldn’t really gain it back,” Krejcikova said.

“I was actually feeling worse and worse with time. It’s very sad for me and very unfortunate.” Djokovic reached his landmark century by demolishing Serbian Davis Cup teammate Miomir Kecmanovic 6-3, 6-0, 6-4 in one hour and 47 minutes on Centre Court.

The 38-year-old Serb’s 100-win tally at the All England Club is only surpassed by eight-time champion Roger Federer, who won 105 times, and Martina Navratilova, who chalked up 120 victories.

Australia's Alex De Minaur returns the ball to Denmark's August Holmgren. Photo by Adrian Dennis / AFP.
Australia's Alex De Minaur returns the ball to Denmark's August Holmgren. Photo by Adrian Dennis / AFP.
Katie Boulter of Great Britain watches in the crowd as Alex De Minaur of Australia plays against August Holmgren. Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images.
Katie Boulter of Great Britain watches in the crowd as Alex De Minaur of Australia plays against August Holmgren. Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images.

“It’s very historic. It sounds very nice. I am very grateful to be in this position,” said Djokovic, who persuaded his daughter to perform his post-match ‘pump it up’ celebration from the players’ box.

“Wimbledon is a favourite tournament and a dream for so many players. Any history I make at my favourite tournament, I’m blessed.”

He is into the fourth round for the 17th time in his 20th appearance at Wimbledon.

No. 11 seed de Minaur is well aware of the challenge ahead of him.

“Novak has completed the game, right? He’s broken all the records. It’s amazing for him to still be showing up and still showing that fire and desire to win more,” he said.

“So it’s going to be the ultimate challenge, and I’m excited for it.”

Djokovic is chasing a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam crown as the seven-time Wimbledon champion looks to break his tie with the long-retired Margaret Court.

Sinner, who could face Djokovic in the semi-finals, took just one hour and 55 minutes to rout 52nd-ranked Martinez 6-1, 6-3, 6-1 in a Centre Court masterclass.

The 23-year-old Italian next plays Bulgarian 19th seed Grigor Dimitrov, a straight-sets winner over Austria’s Sebastian Ofner.

Czech Republic's Barbora Krejcikova cries as she prepares to serve to USA's Emma Navarro. Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP.
Czech Republic's Barbora Krejcikova cries as she prepares to serve to USA's Emma Navarro. Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP.

Sinner has lost just 17 games across his first three matches at this year’s tournament, equalling the previous lowest Open era total of games dropped to reach the last 16 in the men’s event set by Jan Kodes in 1972.

“About the games lost, this is whatever. I’m not looking at these kind of records. I know that everything can change very quickly from one round to the other,” said Sinner, who has never made the Wimbledon final.

Croatian world number 83 Marin Cilic followed his shock win over British fourth seed Jack Draper by making the fourth round for the first time since his run to the final in 2017.

Hampered by injuries in the twilight of his career, the 36-year-old former US Open winner defeated Spain’s Jaume Munar 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.

American 10th seed Ben Shelton beat Hungarian lucky loser Marton Fucsovics in straight sets.

Former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina made a surprise exit, losing to Denmark’s Clara Tauson 7-6 (8/6), 6-3.

Iga Swiatek, a five-time Grand Slam champion, reached the fourth round with a 6-2, 6-3 rout of American Danielle Collins.

Teenage Russian seventh seed Mirra Andreeva thrashed American world number 55 Hailey Baptiste 6-1, 6-3 in just 78 minutes.

Originally published as ‘Completed tennis’: Novak Djokovic bomb drops on Alex de Minaur

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tennis/completed-tennis-novak-djokovic-bomb-drops-on-alex-de-minaur/news-story/742c448f72018f6818340803750d0eb1