AFL to boost security after two men front court charged with smuggling loaded guns into MCG
The AFL says a hi-tech entry-screen system worked but security guards failed to carry out a search in a troubling MCG security breach, as footage of two men accused of smuggling loaded guns into the Collingwood-Carlton clash emerges.
AFL
Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
MCC and AFL officials say a hi-tech entry screen system was alerted when two men allegedly smuggled loaded guns into the Carlton-Collingwood blockbuster but security staff failed to stop and search them.
Security at the MCG will be ramped up while Victoria’s police minister has lashed the security fail as “not acceptable” and the AFL Fans Association issued the AFL with a “please explain”.
It comes after two men were allegedly able to smuggle loaded weapons into the MCG despite its hi-tech screening systems at MCG gates.
Omar Salma and Mohamad Noori — who were both on bail when they attended the football along with 82,000 other fans on Thursday evening — fronted Melbourne Magistrates’ Court over the incident on Friday.
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon said both men would be issued with lifetime bans, while security would be immediately boosted for future matches.
“Overnight the MCG worked to identify how the two men were able to enter the venue, which concluded that security personnel failed to do a thorough follow up search of the patrons after an alert from the entry point screening system,” he said.
“First thing this morning I had a conference call with the MCG and Victoria Police. There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in conjunction with Victoria Police and the AFL will conduct an end to end review of security measures at the ground.
“What happened last night is extremely disappointing, more than 1.2 million fans have attended the football so far this season and we will work closely with authorities to ensure the matches and venues continue to be a safe and welcoming place for all.”
MCC boss Stuart Fox labelled the incident “extremely disappointing and upsetting.”
He said it “highlights why we continue to explore and invest in new technologies to assist us in keeping the community safe”.
“Our security screening units identified items of concern and further investigation was required, our initial internal investigation identified a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening process,” he said.
“As a result, we will be increasing the extensiveness of the secondary manual security process and patrons may experience slight delays as they attend upcoming events.
“We will continue to work closely with Victoria Police, the AFL and our security provider in executing the MCG’s security procedures.
“I want to thank Victoria Police and the AFL for their support last night and, as always, our common and No.1 priority is the ongoing wellbeing and safety of all patrons and everyone involved in the delivery of an event.”
Police Minister Anthony Carbines said the MCG’s safety protocols “clearly failed”.
“There need to be consequences for that,” he said.
“There needs to be actions taken to address it.
“It’s concerning for all Victorians, the people that enter the heart of the sporting precinct and the MCG with firearms, and that’s not acceptable.”
Despite the scare, Mr Carbines said Victorians could be confident in heading out to the footy.
The AFL Fans Association issued a “please explain” to the AFL over the incident.
“We are awaiting an explanation from the AFL as to how this could have occurred given the tight security checks at the MCG,” AFLFA president Ron Issko said.
“If any adjustments need to be made to security checks at all grounds, fans will certainly accommodate.
“We have the best game and fans in the world and fans should feel safe to attend AFL matches without being worried about being exposed to guns.”
Tourism, Sport, Major Events Minister Steve Dimopoulos, who was part of urgent meetings with the AFL, MCC and Victoria Police on Friday, said there would be an increased police presence at this weekend’s games.
He said the results of the MCC’s review of its security measures would be shared with other major venues across Victoria to “ensure patron safety remains the priority at our major events”.
“The MCG is not a place for weapons or any type of anti-social behaviour,” he said.
“The MCG, through the MCC, will continue to work hand-in-hand with Victoria Police and event organisers to put on the safest events and ensure Victorians feel safe to go cheer on their favourite team or artist — as they should.”
Online commenters were scathing of the MCG security labelling it a “disgrace” and “laughable”.
One said a guard at Gate 1 was looking at his phone rather than paying attention to the crowd.
“At Gate 1 last night. one of the security guards that was standing at the podium with the screen on it was looking at his phone rather than paying attention to the people walking through the scanners,” they posted online.
Another conveyed shock at how they could not get “a can of coke” past security but two men were allegedly able to smuggle guns in.
Mr Salma appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court from custody just after 10am Friday for a filing hearing.
The 21-year-old Roxburgh Park man — who did not apply for bail — is facing charges of being a prohibited person to possess a firearm, possessing ammunition without a licence and committing an indictable offence on bail.
Prohibited person orders are applied by courts in cases related to firearms offending.
The court heard it was Mr Salma’s first time in custody.
Mr Noori, 27, of Broadmeadows, has been charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, possessing ammunition without a licence, altering the serial number of a gun, possessing a loaded firearm, possessing a prohibited item under the Major Event Act and failing to appear on bail.
He appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday afternoon flanked by two custody officers.
The court heard Mr Noori had four warrants issued for his arrest in recent times and had 11 other outstanding court matters.
He made no application for bail.
Both Mr Salma and Mr Noori will next appear in court on April 16.
Police were called by security about 8.30pm during the second half of the Collingwood-Carlton clash after one of the men allegedly caused a disturbance and refused to leave.
It was only then that the men were allegedly found to be carrying firearms hidden down their pants.
The men are understood to have entered the MCG through Gate 3.
The incident is one of the most alarming security breaches at a Melbourne major event in recent history.
How the guns were allegedly smuggled into the venue is expected to be the subject of a major review.
Victoria Police said no one was injured during the incident.
The incident has been assessed by police from the Counter Terrorism Command but ruled as not terror related, police said on Friday.
The MCG installed new AI security scanners and Evolv Express security gates last year, that are supposed to detect dangerous items including guns while also improving safety flow.
The Evolv Express security gates use “sensors, cameras and AI software to conduct a full body weapons search” and analyse data at a rate of 3500 people per hour, according to reports last March.
The AI scanners had been trialled at major events at the MCG including Boxing Day Tests and the Taylor Swift concerts.
Spectators step through the gates as the technology scans for prohibited items including weapons, with the results sent to computer screens scoured by security staff.
Before that technology was in use every spectator had a security staffer check them for dangerous items with a wand-style metal detector.
MCC’s Mr Fox told the Herald Sun when rolling out the scanning technology: “We want everyone to have the best experience possible when they come to the ‘G, so we are always looking at new innovation to help elevate this. We have invested in some incredible cutting-edge technology that will set a new standard for security, efficiency and convenience.”
The same technology is used in some of America’s biggest sporting codes including the NFL and NBA.
The MCG will host Richmond’s clash against Brisbane on Saturday.
More Coverage
Originally published as AFL to boost security after two men front court charged with smuggling loaded guns into MCG