SA Education Department takes firm stance on Anzac Day activities after Sydney school’s opt-out backflip
The SA Education Department has revealed where it stands on students opting out of Anzac Day activities after a Sydney school’s controversial call sparked outrage.
Education
Don't miss out on the headlines from Education. Followed categories will be added to My News.
The South Australian Education Department has taken a firm stance on Anzac Day activities in public schools following revelations students at a Sydney campus were allowed to skip them.
An Education Department spokeswoman said it was “not a topic that would be appropriate to be exempted from”.
“The department is not aware of any exemptions at schools,” she said.
“The Australian Curriculum has a key role in providing education in this important area.”
It comes after a Sydney primary school initially allowed its students to opt out of an Anzac Day service and assembly set for April 10 before backflipping on the decision following scrutiny.
Parents of students at Sherwood Ridge Primary School received an email last week which instructed its community to let teachers knows if they didn’t want their children to attend the service.
TELL US MORE IN THE COMMENTS
The school was holding the event early due to the school holidays.
A small cohort of less than a dozen students belonging to Christian faith communities were to undertake supervised learning-related activities during the special assembly.
However, in an email to families on Wednesday, following intense criticism from parents and veterans, Sherwood Ridge Primary School leadership advised its community it was their expectation that “all students” now attend the Anzac Day service.
In South Australian high schools, year 10 students complete an in-depth study of WWII as part of their humanities and social sciences class.
The topic includes a study of the causes, events, outcome and broader impact of the conflict in world history and the nature of Australia’s involvement.
Teachers are encouraged to study in line with the Premier’s Anzac Spirit Prize, which includes researching and writing a biography of a serviceman or woman who served Australia during the world wars.
At Klemzig Primary School, principal Michele Smith says their younger students would be making poppies to mark Anzac Day, which falls during school holidays this year.
The school’s activities are dependent on whether the date falls within the school term.
In previous years, the school had held a “ceremonial remembrance event”.
“We talk about ideas about being respectful of a significant part of our history and what that represented for Australia,” Ms Smith said.
“We’re preparing our older kids to have discussions in the community and get that sense of perspective.”
The school’s preparations for Anzac Day will begin next week.
ANU senior lecturer in Australian history Dr Romain Fathi said despite waning interest in Dawn Services, young people would continue to honour Anzac Day.
Dr Fathi highlighted a decline from 20,000 people present in 2015 the annual Dawn Service at the War Memorial on North Tce, to just 5000 in 2019.
“But that doesn’t mean they don’t think about it,” he said.
“Today, the kids that I see, they’re much more aware of the complexities of Anzac.
“Kids are more aware of indigenous service (during war), female service and multicultural service.”
Dr Fathi said he “doesn’t see that (enthusiasm among young people) disappearing”.
“They want to be able to critique it and discuss it in a positive way,” he said.