NewsBite

SA school students to walk out of school on Thursday in response to violence in Gaza

Scores of students are expected to walk out of school this week as pro-Palestine protests enter their sixth week running.

South Australian school students are being encouraged to walk out of class this week in an act of protest against alleged Israeli “crimes against humanity” in Gaza.

Students for Palestine Adelaide, which is organising the Thursday school strike, claimed that “one in 200 people have been murdered in Gaza, and Israel is blockading food, water and electricity to over 2 million people”.

“These crimes against humanity are being cheered on by the Australian government,” the organisation said in a Facebook event description.

Education Minister Blair Boyer told The Advertiser that while he encourages “students to be involved in civics, to show an interest in world events and discussion among their teachers and peers,” it is his “expectation as Education Minister that students are at school during school hours”.

A spokeswoman for the Education Department said classes would go ahead as normal on Thursday across the public school system.

A rally for peace for Palestinians takes place at Parliament House in Adelaide/ Kaurna Yarta, Sunday, November 19, 2023. Picture: The Advertiser/ Morgan Sette
A rally for peace for Palestinians takes place at Parliament House in Adelaide/ Kaurna Yarta, Sunday, November 19, 2023. Picture: The Advertiser/ Morgan Sette
A rally for peace for Palestinians takes place at Parliament House in Adelaide/ Kaurna Yarta, Sunday, November 19, 2023. Picture: The Advertiser/ Morgan Sette
A rally for peace for Palestinians takes place at Parliament House in Adelaide/ Kaurna Yarta, Sunday, November 19, 2023. Picture: The Advertiser/ Morgan Sette

On Sunday afternoon, a 500-strong crowd gathered on North Terrace to chants of “Free, free Palestine” with more than a dozen props of dead, bloodied Palestinian children laid at the steps of parliament.

Southern suburbs parents Rachel, 43, and Seb, 49, said they would attend the school strike with their two primary school-aged girls, Ruby and Violet.

Ruby said she would be striking because “it’s not fair that I get to live and they don’t,” while Violet said she will be out of school “because there are children without food (in Gaza).”

Rachel, who did not wish to give her surname, told The Advertiser that “every day has just got more and more horrific” in the middle east.

“There is just something really – I can’t even articulate it what it means, to be on unceded land, and to watch people die in high definition.

“Honestly, it’s opened my heart – everyone’s children matter.”

Seb said he believed it was “important” that his children attend the strike and understand the violent images they have seen.

“We want them to be honest about how it makes them feel, and we teach them the importance of truth, love and justice, because it’s not right what’s happening,” he said.

Protesters were flanked by members of the Australian Services Union and United Workers Union, with Greens MLC Tammy Franks renewing calls for a ceasefire in Gaza and an “end to the occupation”.

“We condemn the cutting off of water, medical supplies and fuel,” she said.

“It cannot be condoned, it cannot be watched in silence, it must be called out.”

The protests come amid worsening violence in the disputed territory, as The Australian reports the warring sides are on the verge of striking a US-brokered, five-day ceasefire.

Last week, the Ministry of Health in Gaza reported more than 11,000 Palestinian have perished in the conflict, while Israel has reported more than 1,200 dead from the Hamas rocket attacks on October 7.

Original URL: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sa-school-students-to-walk-out-of-school-on-thursday-in-response-to-violence-in-gaza/news-story/30d54b3b26235c587a705b03b03185b8