Alexandra Hills stabbing: AG appeals sentence for teen gangster
The Attorney-General has lodged an appeal over the sentence handed down to a child gangster who stabbed an army vet at a shopping centre.
QLD News
Don't miss out on the headlines from QLD News. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Attorney-General Deb Frecklington has lodged an appeal against a sentence handed down to a child gangster who stabbed an army veteran in the chest at a popular shopping centre in December 2023.
Chris Sanders was stabbed in the chest by a child gangster while at Alexandra Hills shopping centre to pick up dinner about 6.10pm on December 12, 2023.
Mr Sanders previously told media outside court that he was disappointed when the eshay walked free on March 13.
“He’s been given nothing really, it’s just disappointing,” Mr Sanders told media of the sentence.
The now 18-year-old who stabbed him was sentenced to probation for the “retaliatory ambush” the veteran judge described as chilling.
Judge Ian Dearden sentenced the teen to a three-month conditional release order as he has already served 189 days on remand in juvenile detention for this and other crimes.
Ms Frecklington announced on Wednesday she had instructed the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions to lodge an appeal against a sentence.
“In my view, it fails to meet community expectations,” she said.
“A notice of appeal will be lodged with the Court of Appeal registry on my behalf by the Director of Public Prosecutions.
“My thoughts are with the victim and his family.”
The child pleaded guilty to assault, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and wounding.
Mr Sanders, 51, was stabbed just centimetres from his heart as he lay on the floor of the shopping centre after he fell over while trying to flee the knife-wielding teen and his mate who were chasing him through the centre.
Asked if he felt closure, Mr Sanders replied: “No, none whatsoever.
“I’m just appalled with the way the system goes. I did a victim’s impact statement... and even then... the youths don’t get enough justice for what they’re doing.
“It needs to change and it’s going to have to happen sooner rather than later... so more people don’t get stabbed.”
Harrowing footage of the stabbing was played to the court showing Mr Sanders was no threat to the teen who attacked him.
Mr Sanders’ wife asked police and ambulance officers whether he was going to die as her critically injured husband lay in a pool of blood.
Judge Dearden said he was very distressed by the footage, which would have “scared the living daylights” out of anyone in the vicinity.
Mr Sanders’ whole body trembled as the video was played.
In a victim impact statement read to the court by Crown prosecutor Stephanie Gallagher, Mr Sanders said he often hears a voice saying “You are dead, old man” in his sleep, and no longer went shopping alone.
Mr Sanders told the court that victims were serving a life sentence, while criminals were given nothing.
Judge Dearden described Mr Sanders’ ongoing trauma as a profoundly troubling aspect of what the teenager had done to him.
Mr Saunders suffered blood and air in his chest cavity and muscle wall and needed a drain inserted in hospital, and no longer has any sensation where he was stabbed.
The knife attack was triggered after the boy hit Mr Saunders’ car with his hand, and Mr Saunders retaliated by knocking the boy over during a confrontation, so the boy retaliated by chasing him with a knife.
Defence counsel Jessica Horne said her client was homeless at the time and was born addicted to drugs.
No conviction was recorded.
More Coverage
Originally published as Alexandra Hills stabbing: AG appeals sentence for teen gangster