NewsBite

Vote on sale of Rosehill postponed to allow time for more details to be given to ATC members

The vote on the $5 billion sale of Rosehill Racecourse to make way for 25,000 new homes has been postponed to allow more time for an alternative course to be put forward.

NSW government proposes $5 billion purchase of Rosehill Gardens Racecourse

The vote on the $5 billion sale of Rosehill Gardens Racecourse to make way for 25,000 new homes has been postponed to allow more time for a new alternative course to be put forward.

Members of the Australian Turf Club were due to vote on the proposed sale on Thursday but that has now been postponed until May 12.

Racing NSW said in a statement on its website that the decision “follows concerns” from members of the ATC and racing industry participants that the information on a replacement course was “insufficient”.

“The potential sale of Rosehill Racecourse represents a matter of significant strategic importance with long-term implications for the entire racing industry,” it said.

“It is essential that any such decision is made on the basis of full and accurate information.”

The vote on the $5 billion sale of Rosehill Racecourse been postponed until May 12.
The vote on the $5 billion sale of Rosehill Racecourse been postponed until May 12.

In a proposal sent to members almost three weeks ago, ATC chairman Peter McGauran said the $5 billion sale would make the ATC the most financially secure racing club in the world.

The ATC proposal said two sites had been identified for a new Group 1 racecourse without saying where they were and that Warwick Farm would also be upgraded.

A Save Rosehill spokesperson said it would seek legal advice about the postponement.

“It has been consistently stated at all levels that any decision about Rosehill Gardens is to be decided by the Members of the Australian turf club,” he said.

“Save Rosehill is urgently seeking legal advice on whether the decision by Racing NSW and the ATC to postpone the vote is valid.

“Many ATC members have already voted - we view this move as a clear attempt to ignore the majority who voted ‘no’ and a clear deprivation of members rights.”

Breeder Julia Ritchie has been vocal in leading the Save Rosehill campaign and said again this week on 2UE that ATC members needed to know more about the alternatives.

“If they could present us with more information and had done appropriate due diligence, members would be looking at a totally different position,” she said.

Premier Chris Minns has welcomed the potential sale to help solve the state’s housing crisis but said it was a one-off opportunity that hinged on the timing of a new Metro station being added to service the area.

Trainer Richard Freedman welcomed the six week postponement.

“I think it was a wise decision to defer the vote,’’ Mr Freedman said.

“No matter which side of the argument you are on, everyone just wants to have more information about the proposal.

“By providing more detail, then people can make an informed decision when they do vote.’’

A spokesman for the Minns government declined to comment on the delay, saying the vote “is a matter for the ATC”.

Originally published as Vote on sale of Rosehill postponed to allow time for more details to be given to ATC members

Add your comment to this story

To join the conversation, please Don't have an account? Register

Join the conversation, you are commenting as Logout

Original URL: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nsw/vote-on-sale-of-rosehill-postponed-to-allow-time-for-more-details-to-be-given-to-atc-members/news-story/aa0294f3fa1b138385995d56d305e9bf