Paparazzo Sheng Li wants $10.8m from Sam Worthington
SAM Worthington and Lara Bingle’s paparazzo woes are far from over, with the photographer’s lawyer warning if they don’t pay up the case will “become a real spectacle.”
Celebrities gone bad
Don't miss out on the headlines from Celebrities gone bad. Followed categories will be added to My News.
SAM Worthington’s paparazzo woes are far from over.
If the Aussie actor and partner Lara Bingle fail to settle a $10.8 million lawsuit brought by New York paparazzo Sheng Li they will face a trial that will “become a spectacle,” the photographer’s lawyer has warned.
Legal teams for the Avatar star and model and Li are scheduled to meet before a judge in Manhattan on Wednesday for a settlement conference.
Li filed the lawsuit alleging that the couple assaulted him on a New York street in February last year.
Worthington, 38, and Bingle, 27, deny liability and reported to the NYPD that Li pursued Bingle for four hours across the city and then kicked her, prompting the confrontation.
Li’s lawyer, Mark Heller, said video footage of the incident would be damning if a trial went ahead. The video does not show the event but Bingle can be heard pleading with Li to “stop following me”, Li says “don’t touch me” and Worthington’s shocked voice repeatedly states that Li has kicked his wife.
“If Mr Worthington and Ms Bingle were smart, they’d settle it because otherwise this case will become a real spectacle,” Mr Heller told AAP on Monday.
“If you saw what went viral, it is not very pretty.
“It is the two of them beating up a defenceless paparazzi who was very seriously injured.
“I think it’s clear society now doesn’t like the abusive conduct by celebrities.
“A number of athletes recently lost their jobs when videos of them assaulting people went viral, so if this man wants to sell any movies, I would think he would try to resolve this in a proper and honourable way.”
On December 12, Li underwent surgery to attempt to repair torn tendons on his rotator cuff caused by Worthington and Bingle, the lawyer said.
“He had a very serious operation and we don’t know if it is going to cure the issue,” Heller said.
“We’ll have to see whether it works, but it is not very likely he’ll be able to enjoy the profession he chose because he won’t have the range of movement and dexterity.
“Of course, he has been psychologically damaged by this.
“He is very fearful to go out into this environment again where these celebrities are so abusive.”
Worthington’s lawyers, Michael Bono and Brian Gibbons, have argued in court Li voluntarily put himself in the situation and any damages sustained by Li were caused by his own conduct.
“By entering into the activity in which the plaintiff was engaged at the time of the occurrence set forth in the complaint, plaintiff knew the hazards thereof and the inherent risks,” the lawyers wrote.
News.com.au has contacted Worthington’s lawyers for comment.
Originally published as Paparazzo Sheng Li wants $10.8m from Sam Worthington