ABC Chair Kim Williams hits back at Peter Dutton after ‘wasteful spending’ threat
ABC Chair Kim Williams has hit back following Peter Dutton’s threats to cut the broadcaster’s funding as part of the Coalition’s pledge to scrutinise “wasteful spending”.
Media
Don't miss out on the headlines from Media. Followed categories will be added to My News.
ABC Chair Kim Williams has hit back after Peter Dutton refused to rule out cuts to the national broadcaster’s funding as part of an election pledge to scrutinise “wasteful spending”.
Mr Williams said during a speech at the Melbourne Press Club on Thursday he had “no doubt” a Coalition government would review the broadcaster upon election.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt within the event of Mr Dutton ascending to office that there would be a very early call for an efficiency and, apparently, an excellency review for what the ABC does,” he said.
“Game on.”
Mr Williams said they were not “fresh observations” and referenced a similar efficiency review conducted under the Howard government in 1996.
“A well-resourced and empowered ABC has never been more important in being a bastion for truthful journalism,” he said.
“I don’t think the ABC has anything to apologise for in its quest, its continuing quest for excellence, and its continuing obligation to operate efficiently.”
Mr Dutton previously said his government would “go through and look at where money is being spent at record-levels in the ABC.”
“If the ABC is wasting money, then I don’t think that is acceptable to taxpayers.”
Mr Dutton said he believed the broadcaster’s regional services were “underdone”, but ruled out allocating more funding to metro areas like Sydney and Melbourne.
Mr Williams’ address on Thursday marked his one-year anniversary in the top job. During the speech, he said increasing resources for quality news was an “investment for democracy”.
“This is not just about commercial interests. It is about the future health of democracy. And ultimately about national sovereignty.
“One direct way of supporting Australian democracy is before our very nose – to properly invest in the ABC.”
Budget papers show the ABC will receive a bit more than $1 billion from the Commonwealth. Mr Williams said the funding remains “extremely low by historical standards.”
“In real terms it is more than $150m per annum less than it was in 2013.
“In the Year 2000, funding for the ABC comprised 0.31 per cent of Commonwealth outlays.
“Today that is around 0.12 per cent, and we are called upon to do much more with it.
“As a result, Australia currently invests 40 per cent less per person in public broadcasting than the average for a comparable set of 20 OECD democracies.”
Originally published as ABC Chair Kim Williams hits back at Peter Dutton after ‘wasteful spending’ threat